Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

rev_dom

Useful modification for Skywatcher 200p finder

Hi everyone,

I was using my Skywatcher 200p the other night, and when I finished I began replacing dust covers. As I put the front cover onto the finderscope, the bracket holding it onto the tube failed, and the finder assembly slid out, and dropped to the ground. Despite hitting hard concrete from a height of about 4 feet, it survived!

The problem with the assembly is that the finder attaches to the scope via a bracket, which is locked in place with a single screw. This screw simply applies pressure to lock things in place.

So I've made a very very simple modification - by drilling a small hole in the base of the finder mount, the screw can lock things much more efficiently.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures so my wordy description might make more sense!

If you have this scope or something similar, I strongly suggest you make this tiny modification - I feel extremely lucky that the finder didn't smash when it fell, and confident that it won't happen again now!

Dom

post-43964-0-62291500-1434797466_thumb.jpost-43964-0-48234500-1434797467_thumb.j

• Like 5

I've not had this problem but it's certainly a clever solution. thanks for the heads up 

Nice idea. Ive always wondered why finder brackets are made so when fitted they have to fight the force orf gravity. It would be better if they were fitted the other way round so you slid the finder on from the open tube end.

Cheers

• Like 1

Nice idea. Ive always wondered why finder brackets are made so when fitted they have to fight the force orf gravity. It would be better if they were fitted the other way round so you slid the finder on from the open tube end.

Cheers

Absolutely agree...seems strange that the bracket seems to be fitted the wrong way round!

Nice idea however...may well do this myself....thanks.

A simle and elegant solution. This has happened to me twice. After this, hopefully never again.

Thanks for sharing :)