SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging saturn?

I would like to try and capture some images of Saturn this year before the rings close. I have tryed with my mobile phone but would like to improve on this.

I have a skywatcher 130p and a skyliner 300p.

I do not have a laptop but I could borrow one. Can anybody give me some advise ?

Thanks dean

5396_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I'm going to attempt this tonight (AGAIN!) with a meade lpi webcam.

One thing I did learn from last night is that webcams dont like running from laptop batteries.

I also discovered that an aligned scope with a laptop attached is a very efficient cloud magnet. Also good for attracting cats.

As soon as I took the laptop out a lot of low cloud came over and I had to wait half an hour or so before it cleared. I managed 3 short moon captures before the lpi stopped working. I took the laptop in to reinstall the lpi and do a little re-charging on the battery. It worked fine and i took it back out, lined up on saturn and it stopped working again. I did the same again with exactly the same result.

It clouded up again at that point so I packed in for the night. I found some info while searching the web that stated that some webcams would jam up when worked on laptop battery.

I've built myself a handy table and drawer for my laptop out of an old tv cabinet and was planning to run an extension lead to power the laptop tonight but its cloudy tonight.

I've tested out the lpi on laptop battery today. It seems to start jamming up at around 60% to 65% power remaining. It worked fine for a full hour on mains power.

Thank for your replies. I may be able to dig out an old webcam and a 4mega pixel digital camera to experiment with over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I will be back with more questions if you don’t mind.

Thanks Dean

I have been fascinated by these phone images ever since I first saw one of SR's Moon shots. I wish I had seen this one earlier as hidden in all that fuzz is a rather nice Saturn. Almost an eye piece look about it and among the noise there are some background stars to be seen. ;)

It's a bit late to do the proper job it deserves but I have 'cut the fuzz' on half of a reduced image just to show it's potential.

Cheers

CW

click as usual.

Thats an amazing difference CW. What software did you use? Ive downloaded some programs that Gaz recommended in his excellent primers.

More manual reading coming up. I've read more manuals this week than I've previously done in my entire life.

i have one of those jump start power packs i use for keeping my laptop powered up in the field,

also one of those ciggie to mains adapters.

I have yet to see how long the powerpack would keep my laptop charged in the field for.

Need to pilot that i think

Well caught Dean. As Dave says there's a nice pic in there (good edit Dave). If you use your k810i phone on Saturn again have a try with your 6mm plossl and x2 barlow. Might also be worth seeing what you get with the phone's brightness turned down a click or two for comparison.

Not had a decent go at it myself this year, but I did get a Saturn phone pic from my 100mm Tal last year when the rings were more open;

SATURN PHONE PIC

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

By Jove I think I've managed it! :saturn: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

Now all I have to do is read the registax manual, combine my images in registax, swear at the computer because it wont do what I want it to do, re-read the manual, spot my mistake, swear at the computer again, re-read the manual again, spot my second mistake then figure out how to post images on here.

My first Saturn pic should be posted round about the time the sun goes nova.

I'm still chuffed to bits though :blob:

It was a hand held shot through a 3.4mm (SWA) eyepiece. I had the idea at the end of an evenings viewing so i did not have time to play around with it. Am trying to think of a way to mount the phone. Will let you know if i come up with any thing. Dean

Archived