SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MN 86 ,MN 66 or SW MN190 on a Dob Mount

Hello All,

I have read that the mn86 is really To large to be a practical everyday scope if you have to take the scope and mount out in separate trips. Even on a wood dob mount I would have to take the base out first and the come back for the 40 pound 4 foot long OTA. I have been told that a MN66 is a much better choice due it's size and weight.

I am mostly interested in lunar at this time and I think from what I have read that the MN 86 and 66 would make fantastic lunar scopes. In an earlier post I mentioned the SW MN190 I is still think this would be a great scope at a good price. While I don't have much experience , I really like the Mak-Newt design.

What do you guys think of these three scopes set up on wood dob mount for lunar viewing?

Thanks

Mike

The MN190 Is no lightweight, the tube is a steel one, and 2mm thick, hence one of the reasons for it's weight.

That said, it is a superb instrument, but on a Dob. your ability to exploit it's terrific Imaging capability will be limited.

I have owned one for a while now, and equipped it with Bobs Knobs to make collimating a bit easier.

I have never used it in anger yet though, but the day Cometh  :grin:

Ron. 

Hello All.

Thank you for your advice, I got the chance to get MN 86 for about 50% of its new value and I was trying to think of a scenario that would make it work.  As nice 

a scope as it is, I am sure for a novice like me the choices you mention are far more practical and I will investigate them.  I am going to Astrocats next week in 

TO,  Damian and I will check out khan scope.

Mike

Mike,

I have a Russian six inch Mak Newt and it is a remarkable scope on lunar targets.  From what I read the eight inch is another major step up in performance.  There are certainly some drawbacks though.  They are heavy for their size, though light compared to a 16 inch Lightbridge of course.  Also, they need longer to cool down than most scopes; I try to leave mine for 90 minutes if possible.  Also, the stock focusers are poor, though usable. 

On the plus side, the views have the wonderful 'snap-to' quality with beautifully sharp stars across the field.  They are often compared favourably with high quality Apos in this regard.  Also, they are certainly not limited to lunar and planetary work.  I mainly use mine to hunt through the Milky Way's star fields.

In all, I guess that an 8 inch Mak Newt would be an unusual starting scope for a beginner, but certainly not more so than a 16 inch Dob, particularly if you have an interest in visual observation of the moon and planets.  As a beginner I would probably want to be sure that I could sell the scope without losing too much money if it turns out that my interests change.  You may find that deep sky observing becomes what interests you most, for instance.

It is a great quandary to have though.  Best of luck.  

Archived