Hello

rocketray

I have just joined what looks like a great forum. I am a British ex-pat living in the west of Ireland. I became interested in astronomy in the 1970's after attending a Sir Patrick Moore lecture in London. My first tescope was a cheap Tasco refractor, but I was able to see Jupiter and its moons and the Orion nebula with it. I could never afford anything better and for a great many years just used binoculars occasionally to stargaze. A few months back I got a Celestron 130EQ reflector without a power drive. Unfortunately we suffer from a lot of cloud cover here so clear nights are a luxury and so far I have only seen Venus, Jupiter and Orion nebula and am still learning how to use my new toy. I hope to learn more and get some good advice. I have attached my humble attempt at photography. My very first astral image of the moon using a Canon digital compact camera piggybacked on the sope

post-45318-0-17032700-1434748049_thumb.j

Hi Rocketray and welcome to SGL, well done with your first photo. You will often find mentioned, the darker the sky you can view and photograph from, the better. in 2014 the International Dark Sky Ass, awarded some 700 sq km of south west Kerry, known as the Ring of Kerry, the third darkest site status in the World.  As you are much closer to it than us here in the UK, it could be worth a visit with your scope, some time in the future, if you want some really good results. Enjoy your new telescoped and  the forum :)

Archived