New to Astronomy

AstroMaster 130EQ
Model Number: C31045
Specifications - Optical Design: Reflector, Aperture: 130 mm (5.12 in), Focal Length: 650 mm (25.59 in), Focal Ratio: 5, Eyepiece 1: 20 mm (0.79 in) Magnification 1: 32.5 x, Eyepiece 2: 10 mm (0.39 in) Magnification 2: 65 x, Mount: CG-3 Equatorial, Optical Coatings: Aluminium, Weight: 24 lb (10.89 kg)

What can I see with this telescope ?
Can i upgrade the eyepiece to get a better view of the stars i'm new to this so i know nothing about this stuff can anyone advice me on what's best for a newbie lol .
Thanks for your help guy's & gal's...

This is a very good guide to eyepieces http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm 

BST Starguiders are a good upgrade from the ones that come with  the scope,

and are well recommended for f/5 scopes and higher, and are good value for

money.

But use the the eyepieces that came with the scope for a while, then you will

know what sort of upgrade you need, don't rush into buying eyepieces until you

know what you want to observe, then you can choose what focal length you need.

The link above won't work try this instead http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

This is a very good guide to eyepieces http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm 

BST Starguiders are a good upgrade from the ones that come with  the scope,

and are well recommended for f/5 scopes and higher, and are good value for

money.

But use the the eyepieces that came with the scope for a while, then you will

know what sort of upgrade you need, don't rush into buying eyepieces until you

know what you want to observe, then you can choose what focal length you need.

The link above won't work try this instead http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

My first post didn't seem to go through either.

I kind of recommend sticking with the stock EP's for awhile solely on the basis that I tried 3-4 brands of different EP's with my 6 month old scope during the last week to 'upgrade' and I truthfully didn't notice a difference between any of them. I do live in a horribly light polluted area so maybe that's why. I ended up just buying a Celestron 8-24mm zoom for $55 because the seeing is so variable here from night to night. I heard these cheap zooms are great quality and will teach you a lot about what you need or want in an EP before you spend the big $. The 8-24mm zoom's are pretty good and offer basically 17 sized eyepieces for $55 which equates to $3 per millimeter of eyepiece, which is a great deal, so I'd recommend it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93230-24mm-1-25-Eyepiece/dp/B0007UQNV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434745078&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+8-24

When I started out, I found it was more a case of 'where can I see' rather than 'what can I see' and ended up buying a book called 'Turn Left at Orion'. It's a great guide to the night sky and helps you to find 'stuff' to look at and it's a lot cheaper than new EP. Once you've got an idea what you like to look at, that's the time to start buying EP's.

AstroMaster 130EQ

Model Number: C31045

Specifications - Optical Design: Reflector, Aperture: 130 mm (5.12 in), Focal Length: 650 mm (25.59 in), Focal Ratio: 5, Eyepiece 1: 20 mm (0.79 in) Magnification 1: 32.5 x, Eyepiece 2: 10 mm (0.39 in) Magnification 2: 65 x, Mount: CG-3 Equatorial, Optical Coatings: Aluminium, Weight: 24 lb (10.89 kg)

What can I see with this telescope ?

Can i upgrade the eyepiece to get a better view of the stars i'm new to this so i know nothing about this stuff can anyone advice me on what's best for a newbie lol .

Thanks for your help guy's & gal's...

What do you know?

If I said "the double cluster" could you identify Cassiopeia and then use it to direct yourself to it/them ?

Can you identify Hercules? If so then M13.

How about Lyra? Again if so then M57

Albireo in Cygnus is something worth at least a look at.

So first how many constellations can you identify, you are going to need a few: Plough, Cassiopeia, Lyra, Cygnus, Leo (maybe), Auriga, Bootes (possibly), Hercules, when winter arrives Orion (easy).

You need these to be able to get around the sky: The Plough pointes to Polaris, but you can use it to point to Leo, Bootes and Auriga. Cassiopeia points to Perseus, the double cluster and Andromeda. Lyra and Cygnus you just have to look for. Orion points to Sirius, Hyades and Pleiades.

You should see a fair bit in the scope, when it starts getting dark at a reasonable time it will be better.

As to eyepieces - try the supplied items, depending on how good/bad you find them either try them for a while or if unacceptable then look at the the BST Starguiders, I would suggest the 8mm one. It tends to be a good all round eyepiece. Do not go for the 5mm at least yet.

No idea on accessability for you but there is the Baker St Astronomers who meet in Regents Park monthly.

I can appreciate the advice to explore with what you have, but from my past experience with the 130EQ , unless things have changed, the 20mm is an erecting eyepiece which Celestron seem to have included in case people want to use the scope for terrestrial purposes. It works for astronomical purposes but it's not brilliant. The 10mm is OK for starters but I found the smallish eye relief  quite difficult and off putting - so by all means observe and enjoy what you see with what you have - but IF you do find it difficult or disappointing, do take heart from the fact that if you do decide to upgrade to even modestly priced Plossl EPs or indeed the venerable Starguiders or similar, you WILL notice a difference in the quality of what you see, assuming the 'scope is well collimated and seeing condition are reasonable.

Apologies for slightly pushing the cart before the horse, but IF you have difficulties using the supplied red dot finder, some people do, this can also be remedied with an "upgrade"! Should you find necessary just put a 130EQ RDF type search in and you should find plenty of advice.

i would like to thank you all for your valuable  advice and i will take note of all that you have said thank you its nice to know there are some great people out there.. 

Archived