LRGB and Focusmax question

This coming season I am going to move on from my OSC camera and try LRGB imaging.

For my ED80 I have bought an Atik314L, an EFW2 wheel and a set of Baader LRGB filters. 

My ED80 has a Moonlite focuser with the electronic stepper motor focus unit and with the OSC I just focus and leave it.

I understand that with the filters I should run a V curve in focusmax for each filter as they may or may not be parfocal and save them as separate profiles.

My question is how do I call the correct focus profile when the filters are changed????  In the past I have used APT but I also have Maxim DL and have also downloaded Artemis which I might try.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Thanks in advance.

You don't need separate profiles for each filter as the V curve will be the same for each. All that changes if the filters are not parfocal is the offset which is measured in steps away from the filter used for the V curve (usually luminance). Having done the V curve run you then focus using each filter in turn and record the focal point for each.

The camera control window in Maxim has a filter setup page which enables you to specify these offsets.

During the image run you focus using a clear or luminance filter and then as Maxim selects each filter it will offset the focuser to match. This saves having to refocus with every filter change.

Hope I've made sense

Andrew

Even if the filters aren't parfocal they are usually very close to it. As long as the L channel is in focus then the RGB being slightly out shouldn't be a problem. Imagers have been binning RGB 2x2 and L 1x1 for a while without a problem and produced some great images this way. So the slight loss of definition on RGB does not have a detrimental effect on the final image, it's the L channel that's important.

James

Archived