Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 11 - Dates :)

Ant

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in!

As this will be my third year I am determined to stay for the Hog Roast.

...and I think if I stand behind Stu and in front of the Sun we could have our first triple alignment! :lol:

Hi,

Dates in diary, hope to be there on a Monday and leave 8 days later with 8 crystal clear nights!!!

I need to put the whiskey down.............

Will be great to meet up with all the regulars and the new faces.

Better start saving.

Cheers

Adrian

Is there any chance there can be some sort of imaging workshop set up to show us mere mortals a quick planetary guide and Q&A's to using the various free software to process data?? I say planetary imaging as it seems to be accessible to most astronomers using even the simplest of setups and is often a first step in to astronomy imaging. While it is all good reading how to guides I think it is more beneficial and easier to absorb seeing how it's done while having the opportunity to ask and get instant feedback on any queries using the various settings. I know it's a tall ask given it's only a campsite and doesn't really have the facilities but thought I'd chuck it in there on the off chance someone thought it a good idea ?? 

I'm in!

As this will be my third year I am determined to stay for the Hog Roast.

...and I think if I stand behind Stu and in front of the Sun we could have our first triple alignment! :lol:

Crikey Derek, that could cause havoc with the tides somewhere! Perhaps even a bore on the River Wye [emoji6]

(No jokes about putting me in a boat......[emoji3])

Is there any chance there can be some sort of imaging workshop set up to show us mere mortals a quick planetary guide and Q&A's to using the various free software to process data?? I say planetary imaging as it seems to be accessible to most astronomers using even the simplest of setups and is often a first step in to astronomy imaging. While it is all good reading how to guides I think it is more beneficial and easier to absorb seeing how it's done while having the opportunity to ask and get instant feedback on any queries using the various settings. I know it's a tall ask given it's only a campsite and doesn't really have the facilities but thought I'd chuck it in there on the off chance someone thought it a good idea ?? 

I'm sure we could manage a pooling of experience/techniques session emoji6.png  Remind us a few weeks before!

Helen

I have to confess I sold my 12" Dob a few weeks ago.

Will I be allowed on the field without one or do I need to rectify the situation before March 2016?

I think you know the answer to that Derek [emoji6]

You can have my 12" if you want Derek. I was bitterly disappointed not to fit the rosette nebula in the FOV of a 28mm 82° when I was able to with a 22mm 82° in my old 250PX :BangHead:

I wouldn't mind but the rosette nebula eludes me from my LP back garden so the only time I get to see it is at star parties or after an hr long drive to the sticks. Personally I'd rather the wider FOV than the slight aperture gain. I just know my next disappointment will be finding out I have the same problem with the Veil.

Steve's 20" at SGLX tickled me when he pointed it at M3. Looked like a tight cluster to me near enough filling the FOV. Not sure what EP was plugged in but seems the bigger you go the less you can fit in ?? Mind blowingly impressive all the same although I was just glad his secondary was dewed over otherwise that would have been cheerio to my night vision :eek:

If I remember right , first year was big van small door .... so how about big van big door and bring the dob this time !!!

Cheers

Hello Ian

The Dob would have fitted in this year's van and I was set to take it had the clutch not blown up. Have to see how it goes next year as I've just used up decades of brownie points with my solo USA trip. Need to start building credit again!

Kerry

I'll be there!

My scope may have got over its inferioritory complex by then. It is pretty sure that some of the Dob Mob's finder scopes beat it for apature.

Might get a new tent though........

Paul

Hi Paul.

There was nothing wrong with your old pinkish tent with the flowers on! It made it easier to find you!  Best regards, Hadyn - IOM

Why c't we have it in South Wales?  I'm thinking in the Gower?

Cheers,

Mark

You can't get lunch closer to Wales.

Just be thankful, if I organised it it would be at Kelling in Norfolk. 4 hours drive isn't fun to get to there...

Ant

You can't get lunch closer to Wales.

There are some fantastic pubs here though.  Also, the Gower has more dark sites than a black hole surrounded by a dark nebula, during an eclipse with all the lights turned off...

Cheers,

Mark

There are some fantastic pubs here though.  Also, the Gower has more dark sites than a black hole surrounded by a dark nebula, during an eclipse with all the lights turned off...

Cheers,

Mark

There's more to it than dark skies, clear skies not guaranteed unfortunately, except last year when they were especially organised for the tenth anniversary  :grin:

Dave

There's more to it than dark skies, clear skies not guaranteed unfortunately,

Dave

I hear you Dave.  I was looking forward to seeing Jupiter/Venus and the Moon tonight, but, as one might have guessed, its cloudy...  Patrick Moore would be proud!

Cheers,

Mark

Archived