SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Autoguiding and the hand controller

Hi,

Here's a typical beginners question, I've got the  QHY5-11 linked up to the NEQ6 mount and the laptop, and PHD is running as I'm trying to sort out focussing. If it all goes well and I start autoguiding will it matter if the synscan hand controller is still connected or should I take it off. I'm guessing that normally any commands that go through the autoguider port will override the normal RA track of the mount or slap me if I'm missing something?

Kind regards,

P.

Hi,

Here's a typical beginners question, I've got the  QHY5-11 linked up to the NEQ6 mount and the laptop, and PHD is running as I'm trying to sort out focussing. If it all goes well and I start autoguiding will it matter if the synscan hand controller is still connected or should I take it off. I'm guessing that normally any commands that go through the autoguider port will override the normal RA track of the mount or slap me if I'm missing something?

Kind regards,

P.

Once guiding has commenced the hand controller plays no further part as PHD takes over the guiding, it can be removed from the chain. The problem with this is that if you wanted to move the scope to another target then the handset is gone blind and has no idea which part of the sky is looking at. You would have to reconnect and bring the mount to home position and the alignment restarted so it is best to leave it connected.

Regards,

A.G

Archived