SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 6543, The Cat's Eye Nebula.

RobH

Hello all,

I took 114 RGB subs of this tiny planetary nebula with a combination of 1 minute and 2 minute subs at F10 with my 14 inch scope.

Eventually, I ended up using just the 9 best of them.

Ha data was taken as a test after I'd tweaked my collimation using the Hartmann mask method described in Practical Astronomer a couple of months ago.

I ended up just going about 1/10th of a turn on one of my collimation screws but it's made quite a difference smiley.gif

It was really windy when I was doing the Ha subs and out of around 40, I ended up using 15.

I hope to go back and get some more narrowband data for this, and go for some longer Ha subs to try to capture the very faint outer envelope.

RGB was taken with an Atik 16HRC, Ha data with an Atik 16HR and Astronomik 13nm Ha filter.

Ha was used as a luminance layer at 50% opacity, and also used as a luminance layer on the red channel at 30% opacity.

This object is really small...at F10 with this scope I'd have to do a mosaic to get the Dumbell nebula in!!

First image is reduced in size for the web, second is full size.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

Fantastic image, probably the best amateur one I've seen. Absolutely one of my favourite visual objects which, although small, is very bright so you can really up the magnification on it and see some detail. Thanks for posting it.

Cheers, Martin

Hmmm, where do I get one of those scopes ;)

Thanks for the heads up re. the OIII KK, if the skies clear I'll try for the outer ring...your shot of it is excellent :(

Cheers

Rob

Archived