Hi from Oldham, UK

iainmax

HI folks.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have a deep interest in astronomy and would like to become a bit more hands on with a view to stargazing etc. I've just received my first telescope which is a Star-Watcher 130M.  I've managed to set it up ok and hope to spend the next few weeks familiarising myself with how to actually use it properly and to understand it's features. With that in mind, I hope also to be able to ask a question here of there if that would be ok?

Thanks for having me and here's to a wonderful future in astronomy.

Iain

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks chaps. It's taken me years to sort out a scope for myself and I can't wait to start seeing what's out there. I already have a few questions relating to my new scope and will post them in the correct forums. Before I go, can I ask if there is a book you folks would recommend for a beginner? Something which could help me understand the basics on stargazing and using a telescope? There seem to be plenty of books to choose from and i'm finding it difficult to pick one which would suit me. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Iain

Hi Iain,

Welcome to SGL from an ex-Royton'er. 'Turn Left at Orion' is a great book for helping to find your way around the sky and to give you an idea what's visible at different times of the year.

Clear Skys

Ian

Hi Iain,

Welcome to SGL from an ex-Royton'er. 'Turn Left at Orion' is a great book for helping to find your way around the sky and to give you an idea what's visible at different times of the year.

Clear Skys

Ian

Ian,

Thanks so much for the recommendation. A quick look on Amazon at the reviews has proven very rewarding. I've ordered the spiral bound book as it looks the better option for when i'm outside. Thank you for the welcome.

Iain

Hi Iain and welcome to SGL.

On book suggestions many members here recommend 'Turn Left at Orion'.

On the PC, Mac, Linux software I recommend 'Stellarium'. If you want to break away from the Windows camp or try a dual or multi-boot on an IBM compatible PC, try Distro Astro. 'Stellarium' is included with 1.0.2 as I have not upgraded, (apart from the application updates that are included). I believe the most recent Distro Astro is v3.

Archived