Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is solar observing interesting?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to do a reasonable amount of projection with my bins. Not as good as getting the scope out at night but always worth a look. Recently I bought a WL filter for my mak and that gets as much use as the main scope. If I had the money for Ha I would certainly get into that. Is does get addictive.

Can I just ask, what's the difference between white light and Ha?

Sorry if someone's already answered this but here's the sciency answer:

White light is basically normal, unfiltered light that you see with the naked eye - you'd use a baader filter to see it through a telescope.

H-alpha filters filter light so it is a red light with a wavelength of around 650 nanometers. It means you can see light from the chromosphere which you can not normally see because it is so much fainter than the photosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

One more question xD When I stick the sol searcher onto the ota, how do I align it? Might get a filter and a sol searcher so I can use it during the summer holidays but unsure how to align it

One more question xD When I stick the sol searcher onto the ota, how do I align it? Might get a filter and a sol searcher so I can use it during the summer holidays but unsure how to align it

As your question is a bout alignment I will assume you know how the sol-searcher works.

You simply hold the Solsearcher on your scope so that when it is lined up with the sun you can see the sun through the eyepiece. you may have to try a few different locations on your scope to get it right.

You don't have to hold it in place whilst your checking that you can see the sun through the eyepiece, just don't move the scope between checks.

Once you have found the best place to put it on your scope you can fix it in position.

I have stuck mine on with a sticky pad

post-27910-0-31996300-1436689385.jpg

Archived