Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is solar observing interesting?

Peter Drew at TAC put a setup together using two PSTs, there was an improvement over using one, but not ideal and of course more costly.  With regard to Lunt solar scopes, I'm not sure if you can't use a binoviewer anyway (which would be a less costly option than using two).  I've not had the opportunity to try and use a binoviewer with a Lunt  I'm sure someone out there will be able to tell us if they read this post Chris!  I think the Lunt may be more likely to come to focus using one than a PST.

Have you tried your ED100 with a binoviewer and with a barlow element screwed into the end of the binoviewer nosepiece?  This usually works with just about every refractor I have tried.  Of course an advantage of the Quark (apart from being able to use it with a whole raft of refractors) is that you can use a binoviewer with it without using a barlow screwed into it as the Quark already has an integral x4.2 barlow.

I predict Chris that once you've used a black hood for HAlpha observing it will be something you will then consider an essential bit of kit.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give the Lunt a go with binoviewers, it would be amazing if it works.

My ED100 won't reach focus even with the 1.6x barlow element, maybe my Celestron version of the ED100 is a bit different to yours?

Siebert optics have the info on which OCA you will need to allow bino-viewing with the PST & other Ha setups.  Quite a useful site on this topic.  

Can I just ask, what's the difference between white light and Ha?

Ha looks like this. (It really does, too.)

ANDREW%20FINAL15AUG11-M.jpg

Sun%20full%20disk%20Nov2%202012-M.jpg

You see the sun in a deep red colour with any promininces visible and changing slowly in real time. You also seen filaments, granulation and sunspots.

In white light you see a largely flat and featureless white disk, sometimes with a hint of granulation. (A Hershel Wedge beats a front filter for this.) You see the sunspots incredibly well, though, along with the 'plage' features around them.

I would say that Ha is a least 10x more interesting than white light but since it's about 100x more expensive I dare say it needs to be! 

Hehheh.

Olly

Siebert optics have the info on which OCA you will need to allow bino-viewing with the PST & other Ha setups.  Quite a useful site on this topic.  

Excellent, I'll take a look. thanks :)

My ED100 won't reach focus even with the 1.6x barlow element, maybe my Celestron version of the ED100 is a bit different to yours?

Chris, with regards to your Celestron not coming to focus with your binoviewer with the x1.6 barlow element, are you using a diagonal as well?  I generally use a two inch diagonal when using a binoviewer - with the x1.6 element in the binoviewer.  I've had no trouble using this combination in coming to focus with many refractors, including the SW ED80, ED100 and ED120. 

I thought the Celestron ED100 and the SW ED100 had the same optic so it might be worthwhile trying it with a 2 inch diagonal as well if you haven't already tried it.

Regards, Paul

Chris, with regards to your Celestron not coming to focus with your binoviewer with the x1.6 barlow element, are you using a diagonal as well?  I generally use a two inch diagonal when using a binoviewer - with the x1.6 element in the binoviewer.  I've had no trouble using this combination in coming to focus with many refractors, including the SW ED80, ED100 and ED120. 

I thought the Celestron ED100 and the SW ED100 had the same optic so it might be worthwhile trying it with a 2 inch diagonal as well if you haven't already tried it.

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul, my Lunt wedge is 1.25". My Skylight works a treat with the 1.6 OCA, so I'm going to start a thread to see if there are any good large fracs for binoviewing?

From the way I see, I would definitely miss something in this hobby if I could not see the Sun. Eventually, in the night you see plenty of stars. In the day, you have a really close sample! 

Same thing about the Moon. We all are surprised when we see Jupiter's moons, but the Moon is our moon and is so rich in detail that you could spend so many nights looking at it.

Of course, every one has his/her own interests in this hobby, so I suggest you to have a look at the Sun using some telescope in your local Club, and then decide whether this is something you like.

I love the Sun as well as I love the Moon. I like many other targets of course, but I am very grateful that I can see these two targets so well.

Looks like solar is waaaaaay out of my budget:( I guess I'll have to wait till I get a job. I keep looking around but no one wants to or has any jobs for me to do

Not completely out of the question. A white light filter is better then not being able to see anything. 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/246417-solar-film-an-open-dob-safe/

Yes Dom, Luke is quite right.  In fact if you're getting on a bit  (like me) you'll remember a time when just about no-one observed the Sun in anything but white light.  In fact up to the advent of the PST, which was only about 15 years ago, observing in HAlpha was the exception rather than the rule.  I still observe in white light and enjoy it very much.  Some sunspots are really large and complex, and change shape quite quickly, and you see aspects of them you can't see in HA.  I wouldn't want to stop white light observing any more than HA.  (though admittedly you don't ever get a blank disk when using HA!)

Most people spend an awful lot more then £450 (around the price for a used PST) on their equipment for other aspects of astronomy, but I do sympathise with you for your employment predicament.  In the old days the BAA used to loan out equipment to enthusiastic observers who were section members, Having said that, the BAA subs are pretty steep - though less for unwaged if it hasn't changed.

It's a shame you probably don't live in striking distance of The Astronomy Centre in Lancashire or you could come along any Saturday afternoon and use our solar equipment.  I don't know your part of the country so I'm afraid I don't know if there is anywhere you live that might be able to help out in a similar way.

I asked northern optics if they had a Saturday job that I could do but Nigel said that not enough people buy from him so there wasn't really much point in employing me as well. All the newsagents near me don't have any weekend shifts either :(

I was pretty ambivalent about solar observing. Then I had a casual look through several scopes at SGLX.......

Granted, this was through some seriously expensive kit. The view was startlingly dynamic. Utterly beguiling.

So. I'd say yes.

Not sure how much solar film will show. Some is in the post as I type from the nice people at Telescope House.

Paul

Hi BritAngler, it's a Opticstar 127 mill f9.5 achromat. Opticstar based near Manchester sell them mail order. It cost me £275, great value,build quality and service.

Thanks for the info, have saved that company to my fave's and will definitely get one :)

John

I asked northern optics if they had a Saturday job that I could do but Nigel said that not enough people buy from him so there wasn't really much point in employing me as well. All the newsagents near me don't have any weekend shifts either :(

Are you still at school Dom? In which case ignore my advice about buying a second hand PST or Lunt wedge, just go for Baader solar film, it's a much cheaper way into Solar observing.  

Just make sure the solar filter is very securely fitted on the end of your scope, and that there isn't any damage to the film, don't take any risks with your eyesight, probably goes without saying :)

Peter Drew at TAC put a setup together using two PSTs, there was an improvement over using one, but not ideal and of course more costly.  With regard to Lunt solar scopes, I'm not sure if you can't use a binoviewer anyway (which would be a less costly option than using two).  I've not had the opportunity to try and use a binoviewer with a Lunt  I'm sure someone out there will be able to tell us if they read this post Chris!  I think the Lunt may be more likely to come to focus using one than a PST.

I can confirm that Binoviewers with and without the 1.6x barlow don't come to focus in the Lunt 35, I tried earlier before work and it wasn't even close.

Will I be able to see granulation with my scope (and btw, what is it) and might be stupid, but how do I find the sun, do they sell a filter for finder scopes, or is there a specific one?

Archived