Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Droogie 2001

Short stay nebulas - Eagle, Trifid etc

Some of my favourite nebulas such as the Eagle, Trifd, Swan and Lagoon nebulas are coming up to their highest point in the sky (for me at least) over June and July.
The M24 Sagittarius star field also looks appealing too.

Despite the fact it does not get dark until very late and their elevation is still pretty low (24 degrees) I am still going to have a crack at these.

A lot of my kit has changed since I last tried to image them with an Alt-Azimuth @ 30 second exposures setup.
What with an EQ mount, guiding and a modded camera I hoping to at least beat my previous efforts!

Is anyone else planning to image these? It’s such a shame that they come at such a time where it does not leave a lot of time to image them not to mention the absurdly low elevation.

An obvious question but do may people bother with them in the UK?

Hi,

I bother!

So far captured the Eagle, Swan and Trifid nebulas. Last attempt was two years ago when I was struggling to get an LX80 to produce better than 15s subs! Suffice to say this months images are miles better (though I still have some way to go with the processing :rolleyes:).

Hopefully I'll get a chance this week to grab a widefield view of the Lagoon, Trifid and M21.

So, certainly have go.

John

post-34867-0-19933300-1434401924_thumb.j

post-34867-0-63610600-1434402079_thumb.j

post-34867-0-10390800-1434402145_thumb.j

• Like 7

I imaged these a couple of years ago in early August, they were lower in the sky but the skies were darker than they were at this time of the year (though we can't be picky in the UK and have to take what we can get). I was only just starting off with astrophotography back then and subsequently I have imaged them from abroad on "regular" holidays to the Canaries. There's no way I can beat them so I doubt I will be revisiting them from the UK any time soon.

Still worth going for though as I have seen pretty good images from the UK.

I certainly will be having a go this year, might have a go at linking up the Eagle and Omega nebula (would require 2-3 good nights).

• Like 1

You have to try! Here at Lat 44 it's easier but they are so exquisite, and particularly the Trifid, that they are surely compulsory!!

Olly

Would like to have a go but there are houses in the way plus the awful south coast light dome. :sad:

I am giving the Eagle a go. Going to be tricky and has proved so already, but nothing ventured and all that :)

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I went out last night as the cloud cleared nicely. Decided to image IC 1318

Still its a bit of a slog when you finish up a 1.30am and then have to pack your kit away, oh for an observatory.

I have worked out I have around 1 month window from my location to get the optimum conditions, I may even be able to stretch to August.

Will post the results when or if I get some images.

I'll be having a third attempt at the Lagoon this summer, hopefully, this time with a decent mount and modded camera so hoping for a good one.  That's from southern Spain though, so longer darkness and better elevation. 

Eagle neb too, and I might even try the helix if things are going well - tried it once and got a very faint green smudge, that was all.

Would like to see more widefields of the Sagittarius region, so much stuff going on in there

Yes the Sagittarius region looks very nice. Crazy amount of stars.

The other issue I have is that I cannot image these from my back garden so I have to lug my gear to a nearby hill which can be time consuming and not to mention heavy. So I need to make sure I am guaranteed to have clear skies which in the UK is a bit optimistic.

I certainly will be having a go this year, might have a go at linking up the Eagle and Omega nebula (would require 2-3 good nights).

I wanna see that Rob....best of luck mate :)

I've managed a grand total of 3-4 15 min subs in Ha on the eagle this yr. one of these days I'm gonna get some quality time on these southern gems 

18862637405_4207f65df1_z.jpgEagle_M16_TV_Pro by Scott Prideaux, on Flickr

• Like 3

I wanna see that Rob....best of luck mate :)

Cheers mate, I think in order to get maximum time - I might have to lop the top off one of the trees in my garden. That way I could possibly get a good 2-3 hours on it in one session. Question is, how to take the top off it without breaking my neck in the process! Its a fir tree, so its not as if its climbable.... I think a ladder and a saw will be the way forward.

I don't bother from my 'home location' (netherlands, so quite similar to you ;) ). I 'save' objects like these for when I'm under southern skies. 

I do plan to image a widefield view of M8 + M20 with the refractor from Namibia. They will be almost in zenith ;) 

As promised, here's my attempt at a wide-field view of the Lagoon, Trifid and M21. I had hoped to get more subs over the last week to improve things but alas clouds scuppered my plans!

post-34867-0-97604700-1434969436_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice what kind of subs were they?

My plans to image these are being held up by the endless cloud covering over the South East. :sad:

I should have gone out last Thursday night but it was cloudy until 11pm and then it cleared up, grrrr!

The moon is coming up as well now so not looking good.

Pretty much holding off imaging until 1st week into July. All in all doesn't look like much of a chance...

Very nice what kind of subs were they?

My plans to image these are being held up by the endless cloud covering over the South East. :sad:

I should have gone out last Thursday night but it was cloudy until 11pm and then it cleared up, grrrr!

The moon is coming up as well now so not looking good.

Pretty much holding off imaging until 1st week into July. All in all doesn't look like much of a chance...

This is from 16 x 5min full colour subs at ISO800. Taken through the ZenithStar 71mm with 0.8FR and Canon 1100D.
Forecast here for tonight is looking good (and the moon will be just dipping below the horizon) so might get a couple of hours in.
Hope you manage to get some imaging done. Look forward to seeing the results.  :smiley: