New scope.... Waiting... Waiting...

So, owing to turning the big 3-0 on Friday just gone, I have finally taken the plunge. After avidly keeping an eye on astroboot bargain zone, I have been able to invest in the Skywatcher 200p (also owing to a lot of great advice and opinion on here to confirm my choice).

Currently waiting for the scope to arrive. Like a kid waiting for Christmas!! Then, inevitably being in the UK it will be cloudy for a week solid after its set up.

Excitement aside - I have a few queries regarding the scope.

Firstly, does anyone know if the mirror is pre marked in the centre? I'm pretty worried about the collimating, even after reading astrobaby's guide and thinking a marked mirror would mean I can avoid removing the mirror which worries me a lot.

Also, I'm pretty settled on using the standard ep's etc until I build up my confidence. but can anyone recommend any essential purchases to get the most out of it. I have turn left at Orion, a nice Phillips planisphere and a warm coat!

Any advice welcome!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi and congratulations on your new scope :smiley:

The mirror of the scope will have a small white ring marking the centre. I believe all Skywatcher newtonians have this now.

I'd give the scope a few tries before rushing into further accessories. A red dot / Telrad type finder is very useful and often one of the 1st upgrades / additions that folks make but the standard finder is useable enough.

The equatorial mount (I assume thats the one you have gone for ?) might take some getting used to if you have not used one before but you will soon get the hang of it I'm sure :smiley:

Not strictly an essential purchase but if you get yourself a good quality solar filter, e.g. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html  (or make one using baader solar filter film - the same stuff as used in those ready made ones) you can double the opportunities you have to use your new scope (congrats on the new scope btw :) ).  

but be careful to read up about observing the sun safely and don't forget to remove any finderscopes (which also collect and intensify the sunlight to dangerous levels) and check the filter for holes before every time you use it.  

Hi there J_N_Y,  did you purchase the Skyliner  ( Dobsonian) or the Explorer (Equatorial) ? Either scope  will give good views once set up. 

Get to know your scope before you start buying, but buying you will at some stage?

Use the scope straight from the box,  see if it works,  mine did.  Don't be over worried about collimating the scope before first use. Its something you will have to carry out at some time, and its straight forward, just study the guides

Hi I have the 200p Dob and its a great scope to learn with. Don't worry the supplied eyepieces wil get you started. I have found that the collimation only needs an occasional tweek but you will have to get a collimation tool. I have the Cheshire supplied by Flo and find it very easy to use.

Astro baby's guide to collimating is very good. Except I found using only a collimation cap was simpler than using that and a Cheshire. You won't have to remove any mirrors and there is a circle marking the middle of the primary mirror. Just make sure that both mirrors, primary mirror clips and center circle are aligned and centered under the collimation cap. A telrad was the most useful extra I bought for the Dob. I could suddenly aim at the general part of the sky I wanted and then center objects in the finder scope.

Thanks all for the advice.

Unfortunately - there was an issue with the 200p Dob order so had to choose an alternative. Thinking of future usage, there was a great EQ5 offer on. So I have picked up that, for now with a Skywatcher 130/650. Figured it will give me some good views to learn my way around the scope, and a somewhat future/upgradeproof mount should i move to a larger tube or SCT in the future. Lots of the advice is transferrable though I guess, so many thanks again!

Warm pants really compliment a warm coat better than no pants.

Seriously though, learn about collimation while you're waiting. I tell everyone to get a cheshire collimation eyepiece (about $25 from Celestron) instead of the stock 'cap' or laser that often ships now.

If your scope comes with a RACI finder scope you need to get a tel-rad or 1x magnification finder just to 'find' things since it's hard with the RACI alone, if you have a straight thru finder you're good. If you only have a laser/tel-rad type 'finder' you might want a RACI or straight thru finder (about $50). 

But I'd definitely try it 4-5 times before you buy anything, you'll figure out what you need fast. 

Archived