Narrowband

Windows AP Software on Mac

Jon Sales

For all you Macbook users out there wishing to use Windows based software for stacking Astro photo's I have a solution for you.

There is a software available called Parallels II which enables you to then install and run Windows on your Macbook.

PCWorld sells this along with Windows 8 as a bundle for around £130. I must admit I do prefer Windows for stacking my AP efforts and I well worth the price considering all the free Windows based AP software around.

This saves having to play around with Boot Camp etc and creating mirror hard drives etc. The software does it all for you and it works very well.

I too use parallels and can confirm it works well for me. I run all my imaging software using it - PhD and Backyard - and software like Dreamweaver and Photoshop. I like the way one can move seemlessly between windows software and OSX.

However, I would suggest thinking very carefully before choosing the Parallels solution. It's probably better to run on OSX if possible. For me it all installed well and works properly. But it's still an extra layer of complexity and best avoided if possible. Nevertheless it is a good solution if for whatever reason you can't transition to Apple completely.

It's also worth doing some research on how to best install and run Parallels. Several configurations are possible. You also need to remember you are running a virtual Windows machine on your Mac so it's as vulnerable as any other windows PCs to viruses and malware.

There are several good videos online describing how to best install Parallels and factors to consider. You'll find 'em by googling.

Archived