Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Forum Software & Template

Hi everyone,

Last night we took the opportunity to upgrade the forum, this also meant having to change the template as the new forum software wasn't compatabile with our existing template.

Hopefully the new template will meet with your approval, its very similar to the old template but slightly larger and more spaced out with few graphics so it should be faster to load, easier to use and clearer to read.

There are also a number of new features, the first is a wysiwyg editor when you post on the forum, this means that you see a live preview of how your message will look, make something bold and it looks bold in the editor...

If you notice any problems, please let me know via pm.

Cheers,

Grant

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Grant.

Trev, the quick reply was there on the template as well - it was an option you have to turn on in your profile.

You can turn off the WYSIWYG live preview - it's the right hand button (Red A) above the smilies - although I doubt many will.

Ant

Just to say a HUGE thanks to Grant - it takes him some considerable time to get these themes in a workable stable condition for the forum.

We appreciate not everyone will like the changes straight away but we hope it will grow on you! There is no way back, as the new release of the forum engine has some important fixes, security patches and some cool new features.

;)

Thanks everyone, I'm always very apprehensive about making massive changes to the forum because people spend so much time on here and get so used to how it works.

Thanks all for your kind words, I need some sleep now!

Cheers,

Grant

Grant,

Sorry to be the sole voice of opposition but I don't like the new format, there is too much space which means you have to scroll a whole lot more to see all the boards or posts.

Is it possible to loose some of the space ?

Brian.

Sorry you don't like it mate - hopefully it'll grow on you.

We didn't really have a lot of choice, we needed to upgrade the forum software to stay ahead of the hackers etc. The old style wasn't compatable with the new forum software.

Personally I really like it as it is (but then again I'm biased ;) ).

I'm not sure Grant will be able to lose any of the space, but I'm sure he'll look into it.

Cheers

Ant

I've made some tweaks based on feedback - if you refresh the page you should see the minor changes.

I've reduced some of the padding and text spacing so there should be less scrolling, I've also increased the contrast on a couple of things a bit.

There are a few really negative comments kicking around - I expecting a few people to really dislike the new look, it happens every time we have to make a change (and we did have to change templates in order to stay up to date and get the new features). What I would say though is, please bear in mind there are over 2000 members to please, all with different screen resolutions, laptop screens, eyesights etc.. etc.. we aren't going to be able to please everyone, also, everything on SGL is volunteer based, we do not profit in any way from the forum and it does take a lot of time to do these things.

The other thing I would say - which most of you have been briiliant at is - constructive criticism or suggestions are warmly welcomed, in fact without the help of the mods/gms/admins in looking over the new template, we wouldn't have got this far. If you don't like something, or something doesn't work etc.. please let me know, I will make changes and tweaks to try and get the best possible end result but don't just shout stuff down, offer an alternative and I will listen.

Cheers,

Grant

Archived