Scope rings or bolted down ???

I am about to mount my ST80 on top of my ED80 for imaging.

I can either bolt it down using the original ST80 clamp rings or use a pair of good quality adjustable scope rings.

What's the current thinking ????   The ST80 is for guiding and the ED80 for imaging.

I have mine bolted down. WO Megrez 72 on top of a WO 98 APO.

I did faff around with tube rings and then a Baader Stronghold - but as Olly pointed out to me - they add too much flex and raise the balance point.

Bolted down works a treat! I wasted a couple of years mucking about with the above.

Plus the FOV of the guide scope is so much greater than the main OTA that aligning them is not really necessary. A rigid mounting *is* necessary.

Cheers

Ian

Bolt it down, no question whatever. It is too short to be happy in adjustable rings and what do they acheive? I have never, in the ten years I've been doing this, ever failed to find a guide star in the first frame. Other things to 'bolt down' are the whole focuser assembly where it screws into the main tube. Make sure the screws are tight. Clamp up the drawtube lockscrew and likewise double check the EP screws clamping in the extension tubes (which you'll need. A de-lensed Barlow is favourite for many.) With one camera I needed two old Barlow bodies so I Araldited them together to be sure to be sure!

And then you have, for very little cash, the demon guidescope.

Olly

Archived