Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Steve Ward

Ceres' 'spots' ... curiouser and curiouser ... !

Fascinating photo :smiley:

you can do some hdr wavlets on that image and it does reveal more than just white., it would be nice to have access to the none jpg version..

It really is interesting. There are obviously better minds than mine looking into this but my guess, for what its worth is a frozen liquid such as methane etc. to reflect so well, it must be very clean and very flat surely? really looking forward to a definitive answer to this. thanks for the update Steve

As a side, this is pretty fascinating stuff. can we please keep things sensible so as not to distract from the science :)....

Thanks

If you look at the other pictures released recently there are quite a few "white spots" (and a few white smudges too) on the surface that seem to me to be just as bright.  They are all small but are not evenly distributed as far as I can tell.  It appears to be quite a common feature of Ceres.

Wondering if it's not dissimilar to Enceladus but has 'hoovered up' lots of fine debris and dust from the Asteroid belt , enough to give it a thin dusty coating but nothing big enough to grow it substantially due to it's low gravity ... small chance impacts exposing the icy surface ... ? ... just a thought ...  :smiley:

Still not sure what they are. It must be some kind of surface deposit. Maybe there's something else in the asteroid belt Ceres has gone through? It would be interesting to see if other minor planets/asteroids have similar features.