SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New roll away obsy build...

Astroboffin

Hi all,

I am in the planning stage of either a roll away obsy using my existing concrete pier, or having a portable mount set up with all my kit that I just roll out of an existing shed, her indoors prefers the second idea, so we will have to see.

My questions are, if I go with the second idea of rolling my kit out of an existing wooden shed, what do I need to do to the shed in the way of insulation, heat and condensation.

Obviously the wooden shed will be completely water tight, and I thought about lining it with ply if I do that should I put anything under the ply lining such as insulation or a breathable membrane, or plastic sheeting??

And should I keep the shed heated at all in the winter, using a small low wattage tube heater to keep,above freezing or will that cause condensation? And is it just best left at ambient temp all the year round.

The shed has also got vents in, that can be opened and closed. Should I keepthem??

I should add that that my warm room is separate so will not be using the shed at all other that storing the scope, set up on a portable pier, and I thought about getting a breathable scope cover, would that be a good idea too??

Sorry for all the questions

Regards

AB

If you are going down the route of the roll out equipment, I saw appliance rollers at screw fix the other day, just thinking you could make a little platform to roll it out on. Just an idea sorry

If you are going down the route of the roll out equipment, I saw appliance rollers at screw fix the other day, just thinking you could make a little platform to roll it out on. Just an idea sorry

Thanks very much for that, I have just had a look at them and with a 500kg load limit they are hard core

I will be filling a 50cm square wooden planter with concrete with a 6" UPVC tube in the middle also filled with concrete and my wedge bolted to the top, I estimate that the total weight with all my kit on will be around the 200kg mark approx, so that wheel set would be Perfect.

I assume these are what you meant, (there is two in the set but not shown in image)I will be able to bolt them to the bottom of my portable pier

They will only move in a straight line, buts that not an issue for my design.

post-41536-0-80617600-1433958282.jpg

Thanks again

AB

Yeah those are what I meant, came across them when I was looking for some castor wheels to put on the base of my dob. Reviews say that it won't move without you pushing it, at least you won't be chasing your scope down the road!! xD 

I have a T&G wooden roll off shed, to put your mind at rest I have not insulated it or put in a waterproof membrane, I do not heat it - (and all was well a few years ago when the temps dropped to -15C on some nights. )

It never has suffered from damp as it is well ventilated which I believe is the most important consideration against damp. One concern I had was overheating on hot sunny days so I drilled some holes at the top at each end to allow heat to vent out.

HTH

I have a T&G wooden roll off shed, to put your mind at rest I have not insulated it or put in a waterproof membrane, I do not heat it - (and all was well a few years ago when the temps dropped to -15C on some nights. )

It never has suffered from damp as it is well ventilated which I believe is the most important consideration against damp. One concern I had was overheating on hot sunny days so I drilled some holes at the top at each end to allow heat to vent out.

HTH

Thanks for that

I have been reading up on this, and you are spot on, the most important thing of all is ventilation, no need for heat or insulation, just plenty of vents that will allow air in and out but not the weather.

I should have guessed really as my other wooden shed which houses all the gardening kit, is full of holes as the T&G has shrunk and left gaps between some of the boards, the doors don't fit properly anymore and it has never been damp. So that is obviously the key, holes everywhere but not positioned as such so the weather can penetrate.....:)

Thanks

One question though, if yours is well ventilated why did you need to drill more holes, wouldn't the vents let the heat out?.

AB

One question though, if yours is well ventilated why did you need to drill more holes, wouldn't the vents let the heat out?.

The answer is that nearly all the ventilation, without the holes drilled at the apex of each end, would have been by the slot in the floor to allow the telescope mount to fit.

I was concerned that on a hot summers day the heat could build up significantly in the top area of the shed if I didn't add some venting holes to improve hot air circulation.

As you rightly say so long as the shed is weather proof, ventilation is the key to keeping dampness out.

The answer is that nearly all the ventilation, without the holes drilled at the apex of each end, would have been by the slot in the floor to allow the telescope mount to fit.

I was concerned that on a hot summers day the heat could build up significantly in the top area of the shed if I didn't add some venting holes to improve hot air circulation.

As you rightly say so long as the shed is weather proof, ventilation is the key to keeping dampness out.

Yes I see, the hot air will always rise so vents at the top are an absolute must....:)

Luckily my old garden tool shed has gaps all over, as the T&G has shrunk and come apart in places, so very well ventilated and no damp....lol

AB

Archived