SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light D810A, dead of the CCD?

vdb

A interesting thread this is!

I recently moved to CCD a couple months back after using DSLR for about 2 years, both modded and un-modded. What the D810a has produced there is great, really nice result. But like Tom hints at, how would it do down here in France with higher temperatures. Noiseless images is the biggest change moving to CCD has given me, which is probably the main reason i made the move. Until a DSLR is released with a built in cooling system i will stay away from them, and peltier mods ect dont count ;)

Callum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more comparison on "hot" summer night simulation;

http://www.astrobin.com/185845/

(unfortunately it is not mentioned if these where first images taken or after a series a dslr warm's up ... but it's clear the D810A is something amazing)

It certainly looks very impressive from a thermal noise point of view.  I wonder how it compares to other cameras?  Displaying a dark frame may not be the best way of doing it.  Measuring the dark current is probably the best approach  but I don't know of anywhere this is being done.  This has given me the germ of an idea.  Maybe if dark frames were taken at the start up and at the end of, say, a 2 hour imaging session at a standard ambient temperature (say 20C) then the dark currents across cameras could be compared on a consistent and meaningful basis for typical deep sky imaging.  I deliberately exclude using the temperature found in EXIF headers because no-one really knows what it represents and it has been shown to be unreliable as a predictor of dark current.

Let me think about this some more.  I might even be willing to perform the calculations and collate the results.

Mark

Cost is the barrier for me and I would think the same for most amateurs. Isn't this camera retail roughly 3K USD? For that price, I'd expect regulated cooling and a few more bells and whistles. Not sure what this dslr has to offer at that price point compared to the current ccd market (besides chip size). Even though Sony and Kodak prevent any kind truly competitve pricing, there is a poisitve trend for innovation which I hope will cut cost in production. 

Took 30 subs tonight with Long exposure NR, 2 minute subs with auto dark subtraction, it was rather warm, at the start of the evening above 20 degrees, it probably fell around 16 during the night ...

Transparency/LP was horrible, processing files as we speak. I used NX-D to do NEFF - TIFF conversion to speedup processing and get 16bit instead of 32bit files PI gives me (at 500MB that was too much).

Results will follow ...

/Yves

"I’m not quite sure about that. Rumours have it that Sony will launce a fullframe monochrome RX1 (mirrorless camera) this year."

The current line of RX! don't have interchangeable lenses...

Actually I meant a CCD sony full frame. They have super chips in the smaller 314L and Atik 16HR cameras that I had a while ago.

Archived