Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for a case for my AZ-EQ6 GT

RugbyRene

Hi all,

New to this forum so apologies if this has been answered previously.

I recently bought a SW AZ-EQ6 GT & am looking for a case in which to store it, rather than the box it came in. It needs to be relatively moisture proof and as light as possible. Lockable is optional.

Thanks in advance.

Rene

Welcome, RugbyRene. :)

I bought a large flat plastic box from these people http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1333274

This is good for storing and protecting the mount where I keep it. I wouldn't exactly describe it as a 'case'. I wouldn't want to move the mount very far inside the box for example. I doubt the base of the box is strong enough.

Being an oldie with some back and neck issues I find this a heavy mount to move about. So I find the shallow box, kept at table height, most convenient for lifting the mount from.

Hi RugbyRene,

I just bought one of these: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7844_Geoptik-Transport-Bag--Pack-in-Bag--for-Skywatcher-AZ-EQ6.html

The material seems pretty tough and feels waterproof, but only time will tell and I have no idea if you can get it in Aus either. It does look good though! :)

Personally I use a luggage case on wheels for my nexstar 6se and another for my EQ6 mount. The nexstar polystyrene insert the 6se mount and OTA came in fit the luggage case perfectly but the EQ6 mount has to be strapped into its case and I made a rack for the counterweights to sit in. At least the wheels make it a lot easier to cart around and is a whole lot cheaper the the "custom" cases that might be available.

Hi RugbyRene,

I just bought one of these: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7844_Geoptik-Transport-Bag--Pack-in-Bag--for-Skywatcher-AZ-EQ6.html

The material seems pretty tough and feels waterproof, but only time will tell and I have no idea if you can get it in Aus either. It does look good though! :)

Nice. So presumably you reuse and transfer the foam in which the mount was delivered to the flexible bag. Is that right?

I use these guys - quality product and allows you to use the original packing or purchase new packing to fit yourself.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/thon_zubehoercase_1005050.htm?ref=mx_tr_3

Certainly cheaper than some products though I must admit I like the look of the plastic boxes to store mounts and tripods dust free and neatly

Regards,

Tony

Nice. So presumably you reuse and transfer the foam in which the mount was delivered to the flexible bag. Is that right?

Precisely that.

The counterweights and tripod travel separately, but I wouldn't want to pick the whole lot up in one go anyway!

Just go to your local charity shops and hunt around for a rigid sided suitably sized luggage case; mine was about £5 i think, and i just lined it with a charity shop thick curtain and wrap theount head in that. Nice and snug and easy to transport. And cheap!

Hi RugbyRene,

That looks like what I need. Good to see you can use the existing foam packaging. I checked on the website and they do deliver to Australia, so i may buy one. Thanks.

Hi Rugbyrene

I use two of the Geoptic cases, a square one for the mount and a narrow one to take the weights and extension bar.

They work well indeed with some large bubble wrap to soak up the knocks.

Good luck with your selection

Andrew

Hi.

I also have an AZEQ6, and took the original foam, and put it into a large plastic box with wheels.

Moving it around is easy now.

Additionally i put 4 desiccant packs on the inside of the box, when they turn green, i switch them, like that its always 'dehumidifying' while in storage.

Btw i do the same in the inside of the Lense covers of all my scopes.

Regards, Graem

Do you find it easy to lift the mount out of the foam? I recall when my AZ-EQ6 arrived it took considerable effort and ingenuity to get the mount out Because it was so tightly held in the foam.

Do you find it easy to lift the mount out of the foam? I recall when my AZ-EQ6 arrived it took considerable effort and ingenuity to get the mount out Because it was so tightly held in the foam.

Indeed it is very annoying taking it out, as it is very tight, AND you have to reset your altitude to 40 deg.

Furthermore there is no really good place to 'grab' it while lifting.

But i somehow got used to it :)

Archived