Bresser Messier 6" Refractor arrived with broken focuser...

I think because I had that wonderful 6" refractor (the Teleskope Service short version) I was a bit surpirsed at how big / long the Bresser was. I underestimated that a telescope 78cm long would look a lot shorter/smaller than a 110cm Bresser. And yes, a pillar extension is a necessity...unless of course you dig a ditch around the telescope mount and lie on your back to look at Vega. Or like Shaun (Pig) once suggested, a crash course in controtionism will save you the digging.

Look at the size of this boy!! Thankfully, it's not that heavy...and the handles both on the top on the back are very well thought of. Ignore the embarrassing diagonal.

post-27451-0-89439700-1434197103_thumb.j

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just curious, Bresser owners out there... does the dew shield on the inside have an awful industrial smell? Smells as if  Amazon perhaps stored it in the back of the storehouse pub, or ate lots of kerry sauce on top of it!!

I have one of the old 6 inch F8 Bresser/SW/Konus etc achromats. Really not bad at all but this scope of yours is a new one on me and is clearly a step up in build quality so far as I can see in the pics. Did it come out under other names? I've certainly never seen one.

As for the smell - I think you've launched a new area of debate, Emad! You can become the Oz Clarke of telescope olfactory performance. Ah yes, this dewsheild comes from the northern end of the factory and has a smell of petrol with an aftertaste of strawberries and bacon. I think the lens, from its hint of vanilla, may be slightly undercorrected but the field smells fairly flat.

Olly

I have one of the old 6 inch F8 Bresser/SW/Konus etc achromats. Really not bad at all but this scope of yours is a new one on me and is clearly a step up in build quality so far as I can see in the pics. Did it come out under other names? I've certainly never seen one.

As for the smell - I think you've launched a new area of debate, Emad! You can become the Oz Clarke of telescope olfactory performance. Ah yes, this dewsheild comes from the northern end of the factory and has a smell of petrol with an aftertaste of strawberries and bacon. I think the lens, from its hint of vanilla, may be slightly undercorrected but the field smells fairly flat.

Olly

Haha...indeed!

I think because I had that wonderful 6" refractor (the Teleskope Service short version) I was a bit surpirsed at how big / long the Bresser was. I underestimated that a telescope 78cm long would look a lot shorter/smaller than a 110cm Bresser. And yes, a pillar extension is a necessity...unless of course you dig a ditch around the telescope mount and lie on your back to look at Vega. Or like Shaun (Pig) once suggested, a crash course in controtionism will save you the digging.

Look at the size of this boy!! Thankfully, it's not that heavy...and the handles both on the top on the back are very well thought of. Ignore the embarrassing diagonal.

Looking at that image of yours, I am not sure the focuser wheel will fit...eek!   The focuser housing has been seriously moded or it is just different than mine was (see image).  Hence the mod of the focuser wheel?

arriv6.jpg

I'm just curious, Bresser owners out there... does the dew shield on the inside have an awful industrial smell? Smells as if  Amazon perhaps stored it in the back of the storehouse pub, or ate lots of kerry sauce on top of it!!

Mine smells of flocking...of course!

well, considering the size of your scopes, your trench will probably be 2-inch deep. Mine, on the other hand, requires a bridge!! :D

Yes there not far off a pair of Bino's :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just realised that you have the Bresser 152S f5 not the 152L, f7.9, that is why the focuser wheel I sent is a little narrow.  You will not be able to change the focuser either I think.  The 152S has a lens in the focuser housing.

I think my choice is a coupler now - my little one snapped the barely hanging focuser wheel. Ah well, I was going to get a new coupler anyway! The screws you sent me are great, Simon. Ironically .. I had 3 broken and you had 3 available :) 

Archived