Telescope storage temperature

Hello all,

something that I have been a little worried about is the temperature of my storage room when the scope isn't in use. Here in Spain it can get pretty hot in the summer (albeit, Northen Spain, but, still...). 

My setup is basically, that I have a patio where the scope gets rolled out and situated/aligned when in use, but otherwise it's stored in a locked room. I have one of those car reflectors on the window and a few on the roof (which, is itself a balcony), but temperatures can still get up to the low 30s ºC after a hot day... and it's only June. (This is the first summer of using the shed by the way).  So, my question is: does anyone know what sort of temperature threshold would be a conservative maximum for me to start to worry about, or to invest in air conditioning/other cooling options?  I have a Celestron 9.25" OTA and CGEM mount as well as cases of eyepieces, etc... and a laptop.  Maybe this is nothing to worry about, but I have heard stories of warping mirrors or damage to a SCT OTA under hot solar sessions.

Any advice would be apprieciated!

Best regards,

George

Not a solar imager, but the temps during a solar imaging session are extreme due to the rig being pointed right at our local star, and then magnified by the optics.

High ambient? I leave my rig outside with a 2 layer cover for days, even with air temps reaching 40c. I'd be more concerned about the shed retaining high temps in the late afternoon. If you intend to image, I'd roll the kit out an hour before sunset to let the mirror temp settle down.

You are not going to damage the optics at these temperatures.  But with the Celestron, better keep it close to horizontal when it is hot and not being used.  Otherwise lubricant from the focuser can drip out onto the corrector.  Not good.....

Chris

The only thing that crosses my mind is how it may affect the grease used in mount and scopes ? I have read that high temps can cause lube on the primary mirror baffle (sct) to get onto the optics. Having said that I store my scopes outside, in an outhouse, and it can reach 30c during the summer, I have not experienced any problems.    

Archived