SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I'm New Here

Al

Morning All,

Just come across this forum, which seems very friendly. Also nice and small which means that I can get my feet under the table without feeling intimidated.

I a EQ5 mount with the dual drives, also a ST102 Skywatcher F/5 refractor.

I haven't really taken any pictures through the telescope yet (although I would like to) I have a Canon EOS 300D. Would this be a suitable camera for astronomy use?

I'm mainly into visual Astronomy at the moment. I like just sitting back and watching meteor showers. As well as looking at the planets and Deep Sky Objects. My scope isn't really suited to Planets but you can see some details through it.

My next purchase I think will be a 6" Reflector or maybe the ST150.

Clear Skies

Al

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum.

We all seem to start with the same stuff :)

I had a EQ5 as my first mount and not long ago bought (and sold) a ST102.

The 300D is a great camera for astro use. I have one, so does Russ (and James wants one).

We also have a great film imager here, Andy (Big Dipper). So we have a wealth of knowledge.

When you are ready we can let you know what adapters you need to connect your camera.

Ant

Hello Al,

Welcome to the forum :)

Like Ant has said it's a lot of people start off with the same equipment i have recently got the ST102 telescope myself mainly for DSO observing and Imaging it's not really suitable for fine details of planets but you do get some nice planetry views with the moons in the same fov.

You have a nice camera and perfect for the Astrophotography as Ant mentioned i am also after one.

Hope you feel at home here and i look forward to your future post's..

James :)

Welcome Al.

I'm mainly a visual observer & own the Explorer 150 newt (Reflector). Its a nice scope, and I find it just right size wise... most would advise pushing your budget to the 200 mm. And I must say the 200 Newt does produce some cracking views.

The ST150 is quite a large scope (and heavy) from all accounts... make sure you travel to your local supplier and take a look before you buy.

But you have come to the right place... look forward to reading your posts.

Rob

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you've done your research but having owned a ST150 I'd recommend you give it a miss, for the same money you could get a 200mm f6 reflector that is a far better scope.

The ST150 is poor on planets, globs, PN's and pretty much anything that requires high magnification, it's only saving grace is as a widefield scope, but you already have one of them with your 102 f5.

Gaz

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I thought that this forum looked friendly and it appears that I was right!

Gaz, so you wouldn't recommend a ST150 then? OK thats sort of thrown my plans down river :)

I guess this is the wrong place to post questions on kit. I'll post a specific question in the Equipment section.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Al.

Hi Al,

I definatly(sp!) would n't recommend the St150, I know it sounds good in theory, nice compact scope with a large aperture etc, but the things are a nightmare to get high magnifications out of (only got a focal length of 750mm, so even a 6mm EP only gives you x125) and when you do go up in magnification there is *A LOAD* if false colour on planets.

I had a buyer for mine when I put it up for sale on AstroBuySell and ended up talking the guy out of the sale! I ended up just putting it up on Ebay as I couldn't sell it to a fellow "astronomer" (and I use the term loosly :) ) in clear concience!

Gaz

Archived