Thinking of getting a refractor...

Hi 

I am returning to the hobby and looking for some advice. 

Currently I have a Celestron Nexstar 8 (very old model now but still works fine). 

I am mainly interested in planets and the Moon. I have read that refractors are good for this. 

I was thinking of getting a refractor telescope. Looking to spend say £300-£400 max. 

I would also like a non-computerised one that I can just point and view easily.

Ideally something that would give similar (or ideally better) views of planets and the Moon as my Nexstar 8. 

Could anyone suggest some telescopes to look at with the above in mind? 

Thanks

D

Hi Darren, welcome to the forum!

take it you don't have a particular frac in mind....? 

I ask because I would have thought that to beat the views of a nexstar 8, irrespective of how old and providing its still optically good, on solar system objects it would need to have good appature and focal length with good glass... sounds expensive and heavy..

It might just be the nexstar 8 might already do everything you already want?!?

Just a thought..

Clear Sky's

Fozzie

I have to agree with Fozzie, that a refractor to out perform the 8", is going to cost a lot more than your budget.

If the optics are sound and collimated, you have a very fine telescope already :smiley:

Hi 

Thank you for the replies. It was just a thought really. I am happy with the current one I was just curious if a refractor would be better as an option. 

I need to check to see if it's collimated correctly (I have never done this :embarrassed:) and am a bit anxious about trying this. Now reading the instruction manual. 

With regards eye pieces I have:

1.25"

40mm  Plossl 

15mm Plossl 

KE10 mm wide angle 

6.3mm Plossl 

Barlow x2

Moon Filter

Yellow and Blue Filters 

Is there anything obvious that I could invest in there to enhance/improve/vary viewing? 

Quite a few Fracs here that are within your budget:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel.html

None have the same aperture as your 8SE so the views of planets will hardly be the same. However, in saying this..............ive had some of my best planetary views in a Frac of 90mm (focal length was 1000mm). 

You seem to have an planetary and lunar observing setup already with excellent potential  :smiley:

Having owned a couple of C8 SCT's and quite a few refractors I think you would need to spend a lot of £'s on a refractor just to equal the capability of your Nexstar 8 let alone exceed it.

You don't list a dew shield and those are pretty essential for SCT's in our climate.

SCT's do need to be accurately collimated to excell but once collimated they tend to hold it well and need little further adjustment.

My best ever view of Saturn came from a 10 year old 8 inch Celestron SCT (older model than yours) and an 8mm Tele Vue plossl eyepiece. It was truly superb :smiley:

With regards eye pieces I have:

1.25"

40mm  Plossl 

15mm Plossl 

KE10 mm wide angle 

6.3mm Plossl 

Barlow x2

Moon Filter

Yellow and Blue Filters 

Is there anything obvious that I could invest in there to enhance/improve/vary viewing? 

Oh boy that's the flood gates gone, now we can really get you to spend some hard earned cash...!  :evil:

In all honesty as it's been said you've loads of potential in the scope already, EP's are a very personal thing in respect to your set up, whether you track or manually nudge, whether you wear glasses etc and need a bit more eye relief..

If you really want to upgrade at F10 you are in good safe ground that means you have a good choice of EP's at very good budgets that could be a good step up from what you have... (notice i'm sitting on the fence as I would never suggest buy this or buy that in case it doesn't just work out as hoped..!)

Thanks

Fozzie

None have the same aperture as your 8SE so the views of planets will hardly be the same. However, in saying this..............ive had some of my best planetary views in a Frac of 90mm (focal length was 1000mm). 

Me too, Jupiter with a 15mm plossl... everything just fell right that night..

You seem to have an planetary and lunar observing setup already with excellent potential  :smiley:

Having owned a couple of C8 SCT's and quite a few refractors I think you would need to spend a lot of £'s on a refractor just to equal the capability of your Nexstar 8 let alone exceed it.

You don't list a dew shield and those are pretty essential for SCT's in our climate.

SCT's do need to be accurately collimated to excell but once collimated they tend to hold it well and need little further adjustment.

My best ever view of Saturn came from a 10 year old 8 inch Celestron SCT (older model than yours) and an 8mm Tele Vue plossl eyepiece. It was truly superb :smiley:

Thank you. Now looking for a dew shield. 

So am getting a dew sheild and new power adaptor plus my star pointer should get here tomorrow.

Might get a new eye piece next.

What are these "zoom" eye pieces like? Think I saw a Celestron one (8-24mm).

So am getting a dew sheild and new power adaptor plus my star pointer should get here tomorrow.

Might get a new eye piece next.

What are these "zoom" eye pieces like? Think I saw a Celestron one (8-24mm).

Have you decided to keep and use the 8SE or get a refractor?.

Or both?

If keeping the 8SE, then as well as a dew shield, you are also going to have to consider the following (or similar) because the glass corrector plate on SCT's are total dew magnets:

IF however you have decided on getting a Frac, then a dew shield made out of a camping mat and some double sided velcro will be enough.
Regarding a 3x Barlow:
It all depends on what scope you plan to use it with. It might be too much magnification on certain scopes while another scope will be very happy with it. If you buy the right EP's though, you wont have a need for a barlow. I think 3x,5x etc are mainly used for imaging rather then observing. 

Have you decided to keep and use the 8SE or get a refractor?.

If keeping the 8SE, then as well as a dew shield, you are also going to have to consider the following (or similar) because the glass corrector plate on SCT's are total dew magnets:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-dew-heater-tapes.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/hitecastro-single-channel-dual-port-dew-controller.html

IF however you have decided on getting a Frac, then a dew shield made out of a camping mat and some double sided velcro will be enough.

Have decided to keep the NexStar 8 and pump some money in to it. Thanks for the info there. Appreciated.

Have decided to keep the NexStar 8 and pump some money in to it. Thanks for the info there. Appreciated.

Good decision. Although i have to admit that everyone should own a refractor at one time or another no matter how big or small the aperture is. You will certainly get better value for money by keeping the 8SE and putting some cash into it rather then buying a smaller aperture refrac. It makes more sense as the 8SE is a stonkingly great scope.

Another thing to think about is a power pack for the 8SE. Dont know if you have one, but it sounds like you have not used it (scope) for quite a while. Not sure how old your scope is or anything but you dont want to be running it on AA batteries. A good 17Ah power pack isnt expensive and as well as running the scope, it will run the dew strap etc.

Good decision. Although i have to admit that everyone should own a refractor at one time or another no matter how big or small the aperture is. You will certainly get better value for money by keeping the 8SE and putting some cash into it rather then buying a smaller aperture refrac. It makes more sense as the 8SE is a stonkingly great scope.

Thanks. Yeah I think at this stage, as I'm returning to the hobby, that I am better off taking the advice and keeping with the 8. It makes sense and I can get plenty of enjoyment and fully utilise the current scope.

I like the idea of having another scope in the future as well.

Another thing to think about is a power pack for the 8SE. Dont know if you have one, but it sounds like you have not used it for quite a while. Not sure how old yours is or anything but you dont want to be running it on AA batteries.

No I am not sure about the power pack. Any help would be welcome.

If your visual observing only, you probably won't need a 3x Barlow, that would make your focal length around 6 100mm and with the sky's over the UK good for around 200 -250x mag on many a night it would make no sense as all you could use was the 25 mm ep you've got..

Not sure on the celestron zoom ep, I think the Baader option the mk iii gets good reviews.. worth a Google for some SGL reviews...

Thanks

Fozzie

No I am not sure about the power pack. Any help would be welcome.

I couldn't think of the name of the place earlier. It was either Halfords or Maplins. I have just remembered that most people get power packs/leisure batteries from Maplins at a good price.

I couldn't think of the name of the place earlier. It was either Halfords or Maplins. I have just remembered that most people get power packs/leisure batteries from Maplins at a good price.

Thanks. I've seen some Celestron/Sky Watcher ones. Will have a look at Maplin.

Archived