Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep15_banner.thumb.jpg.34f8495864951c81ec35e285b4d7b2e0.jpg

I am looking to add to my modest scope collection. I currently have a Astromaster 130eq and a Travelscope 70 on an alt-az3 mount.

Would it be worth me adding a Skymax 90 for mainly planetary viewing to take with me caravanning and would the alt-az3 be a suitable platform for it?.

Many thanks

The Az3 will easy take the skymax 90 I think.

You mgiht need to consider how you mount it though.

For example on my Az3 I use the camera mount head as that is compatible with my camera, my ST80 and my C70 (slightly smaller Mak then the 90). I personally have not used a tube ring setup on my Az3.

This is the adatptor I needed for my Az3 as my things use a camera thread to mount on stuff.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/camera-adaptor-plate-for-az3.html

I also made a counter weight so that my ST80 could view at zentith without sagging here.

I have that adaptor. Does the skymax90 have a tripod thread in the mounting plate?

The 102 does (reading a post a couple weeks back) so I expect there is a tripod head thread in the dove plate on the 90.