SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Questions for Quark owners

mog3768

There must be a very large community of Quark owners by now using there Quark on a variety of scope's. Now the other day while viewing the sun with my Lunt 60 PT 1200 bf. my wife came out with ,

" why didn't I buy a Quark for my Equinox 120 scope the view would be so much better."

So question one , has anyone out there used a Quark on a Equinox 120 if

so has there been any adverse effects on the scope.

Question two, would there be that much difference in the view from the Lunt to justify the expense of the Quark.

Now buying a Quark is very appealing but I love my 120 and the thought of

damaging it through heat build up is not.

I could of course double stack the Lunt but the cost is about the same as a Quark.

So what is the most popular and reliable scope to use with a Quark.

Mog,

That's a tricky one. I don't know anyone that has a Lunt DS B1200 or a SS B1200 and a Quark to compare them.

The view via the Quark is very different to the Lunt and shows some great surface detail and very spectacular proms.

My experience using an 80mm Equinox and the Quark is a much enhanced view when compared to the 60mm B600 Lunt

You will loose full disc capability using the 120mm, so be mindful if that is important to you. It was to me so I bought a second scope to compensate.

You wont damage the Equinox so long as you buy the appropriate filters. I believe you will need an ERF filter to fit your 120mm

I have read,but have no experience, that the Lunt double stack option supresses prominences, something the Quark does not do.

Hope this helps

I use a 120ED with my Quark and just use a UV/IR filter infront of the diagonal.

The scope copes fine with this, though I think if you are tracking the sun for long periods then a D-ERF may make sense.

The views are amazing, although I've not looked through a Lunt I do know that the Quark in a 60mm Tak knocks spots off a PST so the extra aperture just adds further detail, although at the expense of a narrow field of view.

I have LS60DS  and Quark Chromo , difficult to compare them, the LS60 gives superb full disc views and the Quark gives superb close ups so you really need both on a dual mount   :evil:

Dave

Today I dug out an old 60mm F11 Tasco, yes I did say Tasco, chopped 6.5" off it, fitted a Vixen R&P focuser, a Coronado SM60 etalon to the front and a Coronado BF15 on the back complete with a Denk binoviewer and a pair of zooms. It takes a lot to impress me these days but the performance is astonishing for the aperture. The setup provides a magnification range of just under 30x to nearly 100x. This is a bit of a "holy grail" for me as my PST mods don't easily adapt to binoviewers.   :smiley: 

Thanks for the replies no I don't mind loosing full disk if it gives good close ups

as I can use the lunt for full disk views.

And Big Sumorian its good to know the 120 copes well.

Madjohn.

The rig is still very much a "Drew Peter" all string and stickyback plastic setup at the moment. As soon as I've fully completed it now that I know it works well I'll try and put up a picture. Apologies to the OP for posting this in the wrong part of the forum.  :smiley:

I've been using the Quark a lot for nearly a year now. I use it in four scopes inc. the Equinox 120, I use a UV/IR cut with it and the other scopes. I have not noticed any problems though I have not done much DSO with the scopes of late. They are still nice and sharp for lunar at any rate!

I find it a very obvious leap in detail closer in, in spicules, proms and active regions, versus SolarMax 60.

No would keep the Lunt, it's just after my wife's suggestion the thought of close up views is quite

appealing and when she comes out to view we would have a scope each. I think that was part of her plan.

Its good to know that Luke has also used his 120 with no ill affects.

Just a slight off topic comment. It is very nice that both you and your wife share this hobby, that she likes to have her own telescope and proposed you to buy a Quark. Sharing hobbies together in a couple can make it very rich and increase mutual understanding quite a lot.

I am happy for you, mate!  :smiley:

Second comment. All these imagers showing photos taken with Quark or Lunt are driving me crazy! Fair enough! I thought about having a Quark one day... but recently this desire is pushing and pushing! Viewing the Sun like that seems to me just awesome! I really like the Sun in white light, but... Quark or Lunt solar telescope seem to make it so real that is actually one of the best things I have seen in astronomy, with my little experience of course, but STILL!  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

I seriously have to stop reading these 'solar threads'.. just too dangerous! I cannot buy a Quark now.. nono!  :embarrassed:  :embarrassed:

Piero

Yes Piero solar viewing is fascinating the sun is constantly changing.

Once an idea is planted it's difficult to resist the temptation to buy.

After reading Snaxmuppet's post about the faulty Quark's I don't think

there will be many on the shop shelves to buy for some time what with

peoples back orders.

Not that I can do much viewing at present as the builders are here and creating

dust so no way is the obsy roof opening and covers coming off the scope's.

Quite frustrating as it really sunny and clear here.

Good to know paulastro is also using a 120 that's three so for, puts my fears at rest.

Madjohn.

The rig is still very much a "Drew Peter" all string and stickyback plastic setup at the moment. As soon as I've fully completed it now that I know it works well I'll try and put up a picture. Apologies to the OP for posting this in the wrong part of the forum.  :smiley:

Bit like my original incarnation using the SM60 ERF and Opticstaer AR80S, I called it Gafferscope!

post-13264-0-77820800-1433967005_thumb.j

Archived