Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Hadron Collider back up and running.

This mind boggling piece of engineering which Physicists are using to delve into the creation of the Universe, has just been re started after a lay off

for modification and repairs.

I've been reading an article on the Hadron, and I was intrigued by this extract, that is mind boggling, at least it is to me.

I sometimes wonder if we are getting a bit Blase about what science is up to, with so many seemingly marvellous achievements over these last

few decades, seemingly melted away into obscurity.

Anyway, for those who, like me,  are not too genned up on this area of science, this bit explains a little about the Hadron.

Ron.

What is the Large Hadron Collider?        

It is a giant machine about the size of the London Underground’s Circle line. It is designed to smash subatomic particles called protons into each other at velocities very close to the speed of light.

Beams of protons are shot in opposite directions through the ring-shaped 27km tunnel buried underneath the border between Switzerland and France, near Geneva.

The name refers to the family of particles called hadrons, which includes protons and neutrons, and is derived from the Greek word ‘adros’ meaning ‘bulky’.

At a temperature colder than deep outer space, it contains iron, steel and the all-important superconducting coils, making it the world’s largest fridge.

The data recorded by each of the big experiments at the Large Hadron Collider will be enough to fill around 100,000 dual-layer single-sided DVDs every year.

Why are the particles being made to collide?

Scientists believe these proton collisions will take them further back in time and allow them to peer deeper into the heart of matter than ever before.

In March 2013, physicists discovered Higgs boson, an elementary particle that gives other particles mass, which had eluded detection for nearly 50 years.

It is hoped that with the higher energy in the second run, scientists will be able to explore mysterious realms of ‘new physics’ that could yield evidence of hidden extra dimensions and dark matter. They also hope to create more and possibly different strains of Higgs boson, investigate anti-matter, and test the theory of ‘super- symmetry’.

What are the beams that are being collided?

Beams are made of ‘trains’ of proton bunches moving at almost the speed of light around the ring of the Large Hadron Collider. These ‘bunch trains’ circulate in opposite directions, guided by powerful magnets.

A beam might circulate for 10 hours, travelling more than 9.5bn kilometres, enough to get to the planet Neptune and back.

At near light-speed, a proton in the Large Hadron Collider will make 11,245 circuits every second.

Where do the protons that are accelerated come from?

They are standard hydrogen.

You're right it is mind boggling but, to me, if anything, it makes the achievements of yesteryear's scientists even more remarkable (well, the ones whose theories haven't been disproved at least). When you think that John Couch Adams discovered Neptune just using maths, in anyone's book, that has to be a phenomol achievement.

Although I really struggle to understand particle physics, I'm really looking forward to seeing what will be discovered at CERN in the next few years.

It is amazing when you think what they used to do with just observation and a slide rule!!

When you look at the energies involved it does get a little weird – in the TeV range. Sounds huge, but 1 TeV is the same kinetic energy as flying mosquito!! I think it’s the fact that the proton beams are bout a trillion times smaller than a mosquito!

For a real high energy proton check out THIS. The so called ‘Oh my God Particle’. A subatomic particle with the kinetic energy as a baseball travelling 60mph!!!

I imagine the discoveries will keep on coming! The more we push the scientific limits, the more we seem to learn. I find it really cool that the largest scientific apparatus built by man, is looking into the smallest of things!

It is amazing when you think what they used to do with just observation and a slide rule!!

When you look at the energies involved it does get a little weird – in the TeV range. Sounds huge, but 1 TeV is the same kinetic energy as flying mosquito!! I think it’s the fact that the proton beams are bout a trillion times smaller than a mosquito!

For a real high energy proton check out THIS. The so called ‘Oh my God Particle’. A subatomic particle with the kinetic energy as a baseball travelling 60mph!!!

That was very interesting, about the ,Oh my God Particle.

Steve.

Thanks for the summary on the Hadron. I knew what it is and more or less what it does but your quick guide was really helpful in nailing my scant knowledge down :)

I'm pleased to have enlightened myself too ghostdance. I know what these dedicated people are attempting to do, but

I find the whole gamut of Particle Physics a total mystery that my puny brain can't even mildly understand.

However, that does not dilute the excitement I feel about this project, and I do marvel at the skills and intellect of these scientists.

I think in due course,a lot of Nobel Prizes will be heading their way. I'll be shocked if there isn't.

I believe new discoveries are forthcoming.

Ron.

Archived