Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

AstroWolvy

Timelapse of prominence liftoff

Taking advantage of the short break I managed to finish the processing and post processing of the data collected and to assemble this short clip.

I followeed for an hour the first moments of detaching of an arc prominence; evident the plasma falling back on the sun while the upper portions began to leave in the spce. I also added a timer accelerated to highlight the time elapsed, as suggested to me by someone.
Unfortunately a bit 'of detail is lost in the compression site but I hope you will like it .
:)

Here also few images of that day.

18316355661_78abca0a3e_c.jpg

18128720569_9c510812cb_c.jpg

18054470551_03cf14bbc4_k.jpg

post-27443-0-03160200-1433404519_thumb.j

• Like 9

Wonderful animation and stills, beautifully presented - thanks :-)

Awesome.  Brilliant work.

The speed the plasma drops back to the surface is amazing. :eek:

• Like 1

Fantastic images  and super animation Paolo.

Dave

Stunning work as usual, Paolo, thanks for the view :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I see there was a lift off the other limb several hours earlier?  I hope there are some proms left for the weekend :grin:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kitsunegari
      updated to 85 frames,  more frames still prcocessing.

20 minutes of time represented here.
      127mm x 1200mm + meade 2x shorty.

• By Kitsunegari
      My days for solar imaging are coming quickly to an end due to winter.
      This may be my last image of the year,   (hopefully not!!)

A very spectacular prominence!!!  (unprocessed with 300 stack)

(sloppy process)

• By sagramore
      Hi everyone. Thanks for looking. I know we're inundated with Mars pictures at the moment but I've not seen buckets of time-lapse and this marks a significant personal best for me so I really wanted to share it. I've not had seeing this good for a long time, especially with a planet this high above the horizon (I'm looking at you Jupiter & Saturn.....).
      Only 12 frames spread across ~1 hour, but nice to see some movement. One single still as a bonus too

Edit to add acquisition & processing:
      Skywatcher Skyliner 200P reflector (off my dobsonian), 1200 mm, unbranded 3x barlow for 3600 focal length, f/18 Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro mount ZWO ASI120MC-S - gain 33, 20 ms exposure, 2000 frames per video  
      Each video recorded with 5 minute spacing. 12 recorded in total. Stacked in Autostakkert 3, best 30% of frames. Wavelets, colour balance, and tweaks in Registax 6. GIF assembled in Photoshop with a few final contrast and levels tweaks.
    • By Kitsunegari
      I reside in the central great plains of the United States, and recently our west coast has been set on fire by rioters and arsonists due to civil unrest.

The smoke from these residential homes and forests burning, is delivered high into the atmosphere where it hit the jetstream and has traveled well over 1000 miles to blanket my sky.

While i can still take some images, it has greatly reduced my session quality at 393nm.      Naturally the smoke properties absorbes or reflects much of this wavelength.      The sun is very white in the sky in fact, white as a cotton ball in some areas.

However,  i am vigilant in my attempt to capture something out of the new active region.      Please be patient while this data is processed.  

First we have a look here at the paris meudon bass2000 spectroheliograph , which records its daily calcium k3 core full disc.    I have added an arrow to the tiny area that my scope is focused on at about 2400mm..

Full image disc citing goes to paris meudon observatory, with corresponding link to the wonderful and most vital French institution. http://bass2000.obspm.fr/home.php

Next from my telescope, operting with an explore scientific Firstlight 127mm x 1200mm achromat.  In the focuser is a Skybender tilt module with some calcium filters supplied by Apollo Lasky.   I am using a Meade 2x telenegative barlow in the eyepiece of the skybender, and a basler aca1920-155um cmos camera for recording.

Look at those calcium ribbon's!  This is a rare capture, seldom seen since cycle 24, a decade ago.

• By Kitsunegari
      Last week I recorded a calcium limb surge. Later that night I discovered another user in the world on astrobin (Warren Spreng) who had captured the same event in hydrogen alpha at nearly the same focal length.   The was an incredibly rare occurrence.

I merged our two captures together, and this is the result.   Red is the hydrogen alpha data, blue is the calcium data.
      I do believe this has a "one in a billion" capture odds, and few(if any) amateurs have ever been able to share and merge this type of time-lapse data.
      Enjoy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.