Celestron 130 EQ or Celestron LCM76

Hi,

I'm planning to buy my husband one of the two listed telescopes. He is a beginner but interested in star and planet gazing. I've asked the shop for some details on the differences and benefits but they didn't know.

Apologies if this is a silly question - just looking for some help.

Many thanks

Hi Scotrocker, the 130 eq is nearly twice the size (diameter) of the other one and will give the better views. I just looked on the currys website, the main difference other than size is that the lcm76 seems to have computer control. How necessary this is depends on your husbands willingness to learn. The computer control also adds to the cost.

Given the two choices, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 130eq.

Hope that helps

P.S.

If the shop you enquired at didn't know the difference then don't buy from. Use a reputable Astro supplier , such as this sites sponsor - FLO- they will be able to offer you quality advice and alternative suggestions

the first one has a much bigger mirror so will have the potential to see better.

computerised mounts, second one, still need setting up they are not just put down and it is all sorted, a manual mount with a book like turn left at orion helps you find things manually.

Of the two I would go for the larger aperture - it will gather more light and give him better views and more objects available. But you'll find that with these entry level scopes the electronics affect the price hugely and so you will get less  aperture. So it's always a trade off of electronics v's aperture.

The other thing to bear in mind is vibration - the cheaper scopes tend have less stable mountings and flimsier tripods. Might not sound like much but a wobbly mount that vibrates a lot can spoil an evening's viewing. But a 130mm or a 150mm aperture newtonian on a solid stable mount can be a joy to use.

I would suggest having a good look around for an EQ5 or CG5 mounted 130-150mm scope with manual controls  - it may cost a little more but it will make all the difference to him - and do stick to reputable astro retailers rather than auction sites or high street stores. Good luck and just ask away if you have more questions :)

Two somewhat different scopes.

Problem I see is that one, 76 LCM, is small and except for the goto fairly basic. The aperture is small and the mirror will be spherical - parabolic is better. I am assuming it is goto, say assuming as it does not quite match the other goto mounts in the Celestron range I am used to seeing, and they keep saying "computerised" not "goto". The advantage is that it should goto an object (WHEN SET UP AND ALIGNED) and it should track an object therefore keeping the object in view.

The 76 LCM mount looks "interesting" I am half guessing that it has had a redesign as the scope appears to be mounted on the outside, meaning it cannot hit the base so will point higher. That also would seem to mean that the 76mm scope could be removed and another of similar weight put in it's place. I am thinking of an 80mm f/7ish achro refractor.

The 130 EQ is bigger and a better scope, but no motors or goto so he will have to find everything himself and will also need to track the object across the sky himself. Sounds simple but really more of a pain in the rear.

One aspect I do note is that neither seem to be sold by FLO although they do sell the Skywatcher equivalent of the the 130 in the Skywatcher branding (Celestron and Skywatcher are similar and both are owned by Synta).

Sensibly the 130 should be the one, but I have found that having the tracking is a nice feature, it makes observing more pleasureable, or at least less troublesome.

I see that the Glasgow Astro Soc does not meet up until September, http://www.theasg.org.uk/

There is a club at Clydesdale that will meet on June 8th. However I doubt any scopes at this time of year as it is too light.

Both scopes will have the problem that the mount/tripod is light and there will be shake.

Both fall into the class of "Beginner scopes" and that generally means if whoever carries on then they will soon want a better or more sophisticated setup.

The 130 has the advantage that it may be possible to add motors to the mount and so in the future get tracking, althiough the mount is the equivalent of the EQ2 and there is little expansion. The Skywatcher 130P on the EQ3-2 costs £285 - the E3-2 has more expansion options.

Would you consider the 150P dobsonian?

Many thanks for the replies. As you can probably gather I don't know what I'm looking for and looking to surprise him with a beginner scope for our wedding anniversary this weekend.

I will go with the 130 then and then when he looks to upgrade I'll make sure he doesn't use a high street store.

I've got him some starter books too so hopefully that should be enough to get him started.

Archived