Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Binoculars.

More pics. The OTA's are modified SW Startravels. Each one has a 3" minor axis  diagonal to start the 90 degree angle followed by pairs of diagonal prisms for IPD adjustment. Each OTA is sprung loaded with adjusters to quickly perfect the collimation. The mount is a simplified version of the TTS Panther mount. Not had chance to try them on the night sky yet.

IMG_9276.JPG

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

More pics. The OTA's are modified SW Startravels. Each one has a 3" minor axis  diagonal to start the 90 degree angle followed by pairs of diagonal prisms for IPD adjustment. Each OTA is sprung loaded with adjusters to quickly perfect the collimation. The mount is a simplified version of the TTS Panther mount. Not had chance to try them on the night sky yet.

IMG_9276.JPG

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG

Nice engineering.

Where's the slot for the pennies? :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barv said:

Here's my 8" bins, purchased at Kelling Heath Star party this year. Although I haven't had much of a chance to look through them yet!

Regards

Harvey

8 inch Bins.png

Wow they're stunning, congratulations! Very Moonrakeresque which I'm a fan of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barv said:

Here's my 8" bins, purchased at Kelling Heath Star party this year. Although I haven't had much of a chance to look through them yet!

Regards

Harvey

8 inch Bins.png

So big they need built in steps to reach the eyepieces ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Barv said:

Regards

Harvey

8 inch Bins.png

Now that's a pair of bins! Wow, I'd love to hear what it's like to use them.

1 hour ago, Scooot said:

I did wonder ? Not far off the fov of the Nikon WX. Very ingenious! ? What about the objective lens?

A bit cheaper than the WX :eek:! The objectives are from a cheapo 10x50. The eyepieces are Meade 24.5mm Superwides which ramps the cost up a bit but I already had them. I was motivated to make them following a moan on CN that there were no small binoculars with 90 degree angled eyepieces. I have to say that the performance greatly exceeded my expectations and underlined the benefit of mounting even small binoculars.  :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 4

Fancy these round your neck? :icon_biggrin:. They are the largest refracting ones I've yet made. I custom built them about 25 yeas ago from a brand new ex Gov pair of 8" F25 aispaced achromats. I had to fold each side with flats to reduce the physical length and incorpoate focal reducers to achieve a more manageable F12.

x3 008.JPG

• Like 5

They were built for terrestrial use and I didn't get much of an oppotunity to try it out astronomically. I recall that Jupiter looked pretty detailed with little CA. The terrestrial views were amazing, excellent resolution at 20 miles range, would have loved it myself!  I hope it still exists and used somewhere.  :icon_biggrin: