Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Binoculars.

On 4/2/2018 at 13:30, BinocularSky said:

That doesn't mean what most people think it does; I wrote about this in the Dec 2015 Binosky Newsletter:

The first thing to note is that this is not a prismatic binocular. It has Galilean optics, i.e. the same as an opera glass, but the similarity with common opera glasses stops there.The specified field of view and eye relief are essentially meaningless. With a Galilean optical system the exit pupil is virtual and resides between the objective and the eyepiece. In addition, the field of view increases as you bring your eyes closer to the eyepieces. This means that spectacle wearers will have a smaller field of view than those who do not wear them. I measured the true field of view to be 23° without spectacles and 17.4° with them, both larger than the specified 12.2°.

Another great read. I was a tad worried after reading some reviews saying "Try before you buy" because i may not get them to focus (being a glasses wearer). However, i never wear glasses while observing with scope or bins and i have never had any problems. I dont have any astigmatisms either.

My new Opticron SR.GA10x50s from FLO, from the batch they were selling for £99. I took them up the Wrekin today, one of the largest hills in Shropshire. They were amazing. The optics were so good, I felt like I wasn't looking through glass at all. I've never experienced that with binoculars before.

I took them out tonight trying to star-gaze, but there was thin cloud. Managed M42 and M36, but it wasn't a night or astronomy. But what I did see, was pin-sharp and promising. Lovely bins!

bins.jpg

Edited by Swithin StCleeve
  • Like 3

Here's my Celestron 15x70's on my new tripod recently in Wales. I love these, especially now on an easy to use tripod. I use them almost every session I'm out, helping star hop to find new objects and then just gaze in wonder while imaging with my telescope. 

IMG_6918.thumb.JPG.0bbccdd61126a47bd4080501d90b9c17.JPG

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

Look at the blue of the sky!

I remember it being like that. Just about.

We were away in Wales. It was a clear night that night, got some lovely wide field shots and did some great star hopping with my bins. Saw loads of stuff I wouldn't normally see at home. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, celestron8g8 said:

I have Celestron 15x70s' . I use them on a camera tripod but i'll get a different type in the future I hope . 

71009_1.jpg

I bought this tripod, a bit more than I wanted to spend but like everyone says about telescopes, invest in the Mount and tripod ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014241XDW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523388373&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=zomei+z818&dpPl=1&dpID=41iCUzY8X3L&ref=plSrch

1 hour ago, Charic said:

.......still the hottest UK Year that I can recall, just sweltering.

Sat & failed most of my A levels that year. Gym with closed windows wearing a sticky clammy BryNylon shirt. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charic said:

'76 was outstanding because it was such along, hot summer 4 months or more with barely any rain or cloud.

A lot of hotter years/months since,especially from 2000, but now we seem to get hot rain...

In the 90s, we ran a 'Dying of Thirst' campaign in the wildlife trusts because of the low state of many rivers and reservoirs.

To launch it Prince Charles visited a cracked reservour bed, the heavens opened and...

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 22:47, Charic said:

I remember it as being the first time I was really pleased to see the eventual rain, I ran outside just to feel it again. Visitors from arid countries often envy our rainfall.  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2018 at 20:36, Victor Boesen said:

Looks very nice! I would love a follow up on them since it would really be a lot of money to spare.

I had the Omegon out tonight for a bit as its crystal clear (apart from the Moon washing out part of the sky).

What to say about these little 2.1x42 bins!!!!!!!.

Brilliant!!!!.

I can pinpoint focus on stars with or without my glasses (i never wear glasses when observing). The view is absolutely crystal clear and bright. They really do show you a nice wide FOV. I was looking at Virgo, and i got about 3/4 of it in the same FOV. The Moon was close by to the right, so i didnt manage to see it all.

I need more time with them to get to know them, but 1st impressions are very impressive.

Next up.......the Lunt 8x30. They are on the way.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2018 at 22:47, Charic said:

1976 - the year of standpipes in the streets and reservoirs reduced to near muddy pools. The rain was very welcome.

I took some used Commodore 12x50 wide-angle binoculars with me on a trip to Jamaica a few weeks ago, which I still have. The views of the Sagittarius starfields were absolutely breathtaking!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up some old clean and collimated old Tasco 124, wife angle (11degree or so) 7x50. Weighty brutes, going to have some fun when I can get under some dark skies, see how much exit pupil I can make  use of. Probably should get some weight training in too!

PEterW

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of my new Opticron 8.5x50 SR-GA's, made in Japan, bought last month from FLO.

I have used these a fair bit in the last week or so while on holiday, mainly in the daytime but with a few short peeks at night, (their intended use longer term).

I sold my Opticron Adventurer II WP's to help fund these. The Adventurers were described by Steve Tonkin (Binocular Sky) as the best bins under £150 and I had to agree - until I used these SR-GA's, that is..

..in fairness, these had an RRP of well over £200, but have been discontinued and were being cleared by FLO at £99 plus shipping. At that price they are just superb. They come with proper fitting eyecaps, a decent, quite wide strap, an extra rainguard for the eyepieces and a high quality real leather case.

The field is a bit less than the Adventurers at 5.2 degrees for the 8.5x50 model I bought, but it is VERY sharp almost right to the edge with excellent contrast and colour rendition. CA is extremely well controlled too.

I will use these on my trusty Ravelli (Amazon UK) trigger grip and tripod as well as hand held of course.

Last night I had a lovely view of Saturn between the clouds and could clearly see Titan and two sharp "bulges", being the rings of the planet - not bad at all for just 8.5x magnification.

The build and mechanics are first rate and with c 20mm eye relief these bins tick all my boxes, and more besides:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dave

IMG_20180715_122906597.jpg

IMG_20180715_122658349.jpg

IMG_20180715_122636961_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180715_122408759.jpg

IMG_20180715_122823729.jpg

IMG_20180519_203431800.jpg

IMG_20180519_203330288.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Aye carumba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Just checked Amazon. The Ravelli trigger grip,mount and tripod...............about £50.

Yes please, i'll have some of that.

Luke, I think you will love the setup..amazing value for money and well built. I've had mine for about 3 years now and can't fault it for the price.

Steve Tonkin posted an excellent easy maintenance guide some while back, I'll see if I can find it - very useful.

Let us see some pics with your binos on it..:thumbsup:

Dave

• Like 1