Decided on a Newt – but which one?

Yes agreed, if you undo the rings and move the ota around and re-tighten the rings for every object then you can observe comfortably. Maybe it's just me not wanting to do that for every object? I don't think you have to do this for any other type of setup,?

I'll personally stick to my observing chair!  

True, it does mean adjusting the OTA for most different targets, and sometimes for the same target, if observing it for an extended period.That's never bothered me, but I'll grant it would annoy some.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the Mods RikM used to image with a 150p on an EQ3. Also a chap called Quatermass used to image with a 200p on an EQ5 which must have been even more of a challenge.

You can do it but it's just harder work sub HEQ5.

Thanks for all the tips from everyone. Right now, visual observing will be enough for me. I reckon the 130p-ds will win this one, given what everyone has been saying here. I think any AP I try will be limited to only my Canon 400D on the mount for some widefield stuff – maybe a little project to capture the main constellations.

Any idea what sub time I could get with a motor on the EQ3 and my Canon at 55mm?

Any idea what sub time I could get with a motor on the EQ3 and my Canon at 55mm?

I think at that short focal length 2 minutes should be quite doable.

To help achieve this get good polar allignment, and move the counter weight slightly further down so that RA is slightly east heavy. This will help take the backlash in the gears :)

I started imaging on the similar EQ5 so learnt a trick or two. 

Your spot on Alan – I forgot you recommended those to me earlier lol!! I read somewhere you can mod the basic motor control handset, but for the extra £20 why bother! I’m pretty rubbish when it comes to soldering etc and would probably end up ruining it, and burning myself as well!!

I think I may also spend some time stripping down the mount and re-greasing it. I had a look at it last night, and both RA and DC seems a little ‘creaky’ when turned very slowly. I found the link on here how to do it, and I think it maybe within my limited DIY skills. I have to make do with the EQ3 for the time being, so it makes sense to get it working as smoothly as possible.

Getting the guide port opens up a lot of possibilities for you.

You could for instance purchase a guide camera later on and get one that also doubles up as a planetary imaging camera (like the QHY5L-iic or equivalent) and a 9x50 finder (cheap as chips guide scope).

You could then:

Guide your DSLR widefield setup (easy to make an adapter with some aluminum and a drill and tap set)

Dabble in some planetary/lunar imaging with your scope and guider/planatery cam (If I can do it with a 200p/EQ5 and no motors I'm sure you can with this setup!) planetary imaging is more forgiving than DSO work.

Guide your scope and attempt some DSO imaging (although the weight and mount would be the limiting factor here).

Also, don't mean to disrupt your plans but if you were going to purchase the motor set for the EQ3-2 (around £109) you might actually be better off looking for a second hand EQ5 with motors already and selling the EQ3-2?

There is one on ABS for £200 so I'd say expect to pay around that?

Get your scope first

Have some fun viewing

Save up a little extra cash instead of buying the motors

Bag a second hand EQ5 and sell the EQ3-2

Worth considering.

Thanks for the tips Robp – certainly something to think about, RE the EQ5. As you say though, have fun with the scope first!! There are so many options and things to think about when first starting out, that sometime the info and such can be a little overwhelming – like drinking from a fire hose!! Just when I think I have finally settled on a set up, I get more ideas . . . . . and hesitations!! But I suppose everyone had to start somewhere – if my start is an EQ3 with a small OTA for just visual, then that’s fine by me. I’m sure it could be worse!!

My aim is really to have a small set up I can chuck in the back of the car at a moment’s notice, and take a quick drive up to the Ashbourne / Illam area. Its also important it can fit in the car when we go on UK based holidays, along with all the suitcases etc!!

I’m thinking that perhaps I should see the limitations of a real budget set up as a challenge!! Get a basic set up and see how much I can squeeze out of it!!

I’m thinking that perhaps I should see the limitations of a real budget set up as a challenge!! Get a basic set up and see how much I can squeeze out of it!!

I think you will be surprised just how well you can get on with a budget setup and determination :grin:.

Good luck, make sure you keep us updated on what you go for in the end and how the first light goes..

Archived