Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Report 26 May

MarkRadice

A first quarter moon hung in the evening sky that, by 2100, was too good to resist.  I was able to set up in the last light of the day as, with the solstice only a few weeks away, it gets dark quite late.  After a quick star alignment, I had the moon on the increasingly frail laptop ready to capture some frames. 

The Appenine region between Mare Imbrium and Mare Frigoris was stunning.  I love the long dark shadows cast by Mons Pico and Mons Piton.  There is a hint of a central crater on the top of Mons Piton as well.  I wonder if this is an illusion or a genuine feature?

post-26666-0-38109300-1433239031_thumb.j

Note the 11km wide Alpine Valley, a rift in the mountains caused by the lunar crust pulling apart. The close up shows the thin shadow of a collapsed lava tube which varies from 0.55-1km across running down the centre of the Alpine Valley.

post-26666-0-04230700-1433239064_thumb.j

Adjacent to the Appenines are two large craters of dissimilar appearance: Aristoteles (87km) and Eudoxus (67km).  They both exhibit central remnants albeit Aristoteles’ floor  is filled with lava.  Both exhibit exquisite terracing on the interior walls and what appears to be a landslip on the western walls. 

post-26666-0-63339500-1433239122_thumb.j

Here is an interesting view looking towards the lunar south pole. Somewhere up there are the "Peaks of Eternal Sunshine", the proposed site of a future base where the peaks are always in sunlight and there may be water ice in the permanent shadows in the crater floors.

post-26666-0-09050300-1433239152_thumb.j

Moretus, the large crater in the centre is 114km in dia and the central peak is 2km above the floor. I love the terracing around the crater walls. Note also the crater rims inside Clavius just catching the first rays of dawn.

And to think I missed Britain's Got Talent for this!

Archived