Skywatcher Skymax 127 or Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT

Hi Guys, 

after wasting plenty of time looking online I've decided that the best place to get a decision was to come here and get some expert reviews. 

so my choices I think are either the 2 below:

SkyWatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GoTo - £364.04

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A784RBS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=25VOARLNR3QID&coliid=IBH1ITCVRJOP2 

Celestron 31145 NexStar130 SLT £329.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007UQNNQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=25VOARLNR3QID&coliid=I21STWNBO92KOJ

I like more, however I am leaning towards the Skywatcher, as it appears to be more mobile. 

however I am desperate for some real people's reviews and interactions with these scopes

Thanks

The NexStar 130 SLT has a better all-around tube, since it will give you a wide field to enjoy some DSOs that will not fit the Skymax 127, while not being bad at planets. However, the mount (which is similar for both) is not very good so it will be a bit worse with the longer 130 SLT (plus observing targets near zenith might not be possible).

I don't think I helped much so far, did I? :)

Well, I can say this: If you want it mostly for planets (or something else that is small like double stars etc), you will be happy with the Skymax 127. Otherwise it is a harder decision.

Hello there,

I was recently facing a similar choice and in the end went for the Celestron 127 SLT. I got it for a good price from Amazon, but it has since gone up. It's a similar price to the SkyMax elsewhere though http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-nexstar-127-slt.html

This is a virtual clone of the SkyMax 127 you mention, with a few differences. (I did actually have a second hand SkyMax 127 in my possession but had to send it back as the tripod was damaged)

The SkyMax comes with a 6x30 finderscope instead of the red dot finder with the Celestron. Personally, I thought the 6x30 scope was rubbish and find the RDF easier to use. Bear in mind you only need it to align the first three objects. 

The Celestron does not come with a barlow, but that didn't matter to me as I was planning on buying more eyepieces anyway.

The main difference is that the Celestron GoTo has the SkyAlign feature. Once you have entered your location, time and date you just point the scope at three bright objects (even planets or the moon) - you don't need to know what they are, it will work that out for itself.

With the SkyMax you need to tell it what stars you are pointing it at and you need to be able to find them. Even if you do know, it's just tedious scrolling through the list of objects to find one you can see.

Another advantage of SkyAlign, since it can use the planets and moon, you can align it in twilight (if Venus and Jupiter are out) then use it to find Mercury.

When it came to deciding between the 127 Maksutov and the 130 Newtonian, I looked at it like this:

Advantages of 127:

Shorter tube (more portable)

It is more durable - you will probably never need to collimate it.

Gives excellent high power views of the planets

Large focus range, you should be able to achieve focus with most accessories

Disadvantages:

Takes longer to cool off (I just fetch it out earlier)

Prone to condensation forming

Narrow field of view

Slow f ratio

(so less suited to fainter/larger objects)

People will typically say that the 127 Mak is great for planets and double stars, however this does not prevent you from seeing other things. Even though it is not ideally suited I have still seen the Orion Nebula, M13, M27 and several other Messier objects with it.

I have not used the 130, so I can't give you a proper 'head to head' but I can say, all things considered, I have been very happy with the 127 in the three months I've had it. The goto is great once you get the hang of aligning it and I have found it tracks well: My understanding is that the SLT mount itself is quite good - the real weak link is the shaky tripod - eveytime you touch the scope the whole thing wobbles and you have to let it settle. I am currently pondering some way to replace it, as others have...

Archived