Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Lyle

Hello to SGL Members & Staff,

My name is Lyle. I am 52 years old and married with 5 grandchildren. I have always been attracted to the night skies. I had the privilege in my youth of living in areas with little or no light pollution and the absence of today’s industrial air pollution. I remember being able to see the strong band of the Milky Way and a very strong star field in general. I was an avid reader of Author C. Clark & Isaac Asimov. One might say my head was in outer space but my feet firmly planted on the ground. I joined the USAF in 1981 as an Aircraft Maintenance Tech, even took a ride back seat in a F-4 Phantom to an altitude of 60Kft (saw the curvature of the earth), and to include a mach run on the way down. After 911, I cross trained into Machine Tool Technology and have been working as a machinist ever since.   

I have since been living in the Deep South near Baton Rouge & New Orleans. On a rare clear night, one might be lucky to see one quarter of the star field. Therefore we have to travel north well out of town to see some stars. I purchased a small Tasco 302048 telescope one Christmas for the kids when they were in their pre-teens. We got some good moon views, caught the image of Saturn along with some other interesting objects. I have used the same scope to show my grand children the same.

Over the last few years I have renewed my interest in astronomy and cosmology through the men Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan. I rely heavily on the Hubble Gallery site and Friends of NASA on Google+.  I am planning on purchasing some equipment more befitting my desires, at which I will be looking at the equiptment you all use!

I am looking forward to being a part of SGL.

Sincerely,

Lyle 

PS - The attached pictures were downloaded from the internet. I hope to see these sites in person some day soon!

post-44799-0-69556100-1433044234.jpg

post-44799-0-23961500-1433044254.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome Lyle,

Yes the skies back then were fantastic. My father used to show me the sky when I was a kid in the fifties. I live here in the UK in a heavily light polluted area. Only half a mile from where I was as a kid! In this modern world we all have that problem unless very lucky.

You should get a lot of help here and advice. I spend a lot of time just reading the posts. There is an fair bit of diversity in astro gear.

I hope you enjoy the experience.

Your trip in the jet sounded really good.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

Hi Lyle and welcome to SGL - A great introduction! Glad that you found us and hope that you find your time here as inspirational as the night sky :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

• Like 1

Hi Lyle

I'm sure you will find plenty of advice on this site, I'm very lucky, when I retired in 2013, I left the light polluted UK to come and live in Tenerife, now I live by the sea on a warm sub tropical Island and just an hours drive away can be up in the Caldera in the Parque Nacional de Teide at an altitude of 6,500 - 7,000 ft and near perfect dark skys.

Peter

• Like 2

Hello Lyle, and welcome from across the pond.

• Like 1

A warm welcome to SGL Lyle.

What a nice way to introduce yourself. It's great when someone  states a little bit about themselves,. and 

what they do, and did. 

You have some fantastic skies there it seems, and the images are wonderful.

We look forward to more Input from you, and your camera and scope.

If you need to ask for help, the forum is crammed full of members with  

knowledge in many aspects of Astronomy, and all you need do is ask.

Our wish is you enjoy you stay here, and hope it's a very long one.

Ron.

• Like 1

Hello Lyle and a warm welcome, glad to have you aboard and great introduction.

Cylon

• Like 1

Hi Lyle and welcome to the forum\

Clear skies

• Like 1

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

Edited by bunnygod1
  • Like 1

Hi Lyle

I'm sure you will find plenty of advice on this site, I'm very lucky, when I retired in 2013, I left the light polluted UK to come and live in Tenerife, now I live by the sea on a warm sub tropical Island and just an hours drive away can be up in the Caldera in the Parque Nacional de Teide at an altitude of 6,500 - 7,000 ft and near perfect dark skys.

Peter

Thank you for your reply Peter! I had to google your location. The ideal retirement enviroment it seems! I look forward to veiwing your post. :Envy:  

A warm welcome to SGL Lyle.

What a nice way to introduce yourself. It's great when someone  states a little bit about themselves,. and 

what they do, and did. 

You have some fantastic skies there it seems, and the images are wonderful.

We look forward to more Input from you, and your camera and scope.

If you need to ask for help, the forum is crammed full of members with  

knowledge in many aspects of Astronomy, and all you need do is ask.

Our wish is you enjoy you stay here, and hope it's a very long one.

Ron.

Thank you for your reply Ron! I have to humbly confess that the photos on my intro were not taken by me. As I stated in my intro, I downloaded them from the internet. I was sitting in the barber shop reading a magazine article on Big Bend National Park, TX, whereas I saw a great photo of the Milky Way, as viewed from the Overlook -http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60733-i75755270-Big_Bend_National_Park_Texas.html  -- Seeing this photo and others, I started searching the internet for more photos. I liked the one from Death Valley, CA best. Once I get the equipment I need, I plan on traveling to a similar site some day!  :smiley:

Welcome to SGL, Lyle!

Baseball fan?

Dana

I watched BB in my earlier years, but I focus on College Football & NFL Playoffs and the Superbowl

• Like 1

I appreciate the warm Welcome that I have received from the staff and members of SGL. I am still trying to navigate my way thru the mechanics of the web site. I am a quick study at most things! I guess I will find out in due time!

Sincerely,

Lyle

hi Lyle and welcome to the wonderfull world of SGL from south wales UK.all the best.charl.

• Like 1

Hi Lyle and welcome to SGL, that trip in the F-4 Phantom must have been an experience you will, no doubt, never forget.

Climbing the Astronomical road can become, at times, somewhat confusing at the best, a slow steady pace and an idea in which direction you want your observing Astronomy to go, local group Moon, stars Planets or out into deepest space, may help to decide on what type of equipment you will eventually obtain. Which ever route you take, the forum will be a helpful guiding resource for you, enjoy it and your Astronomy :)

• Like 1

Hi Lyle and welcome to the lounge from middle England.

• Like 1

Hello Lyle, welcome to SGL :)