Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What telescope to buy with a £500 budget

I'd go to a club first. There is no one scope that will do everything which is why you'll see a lot of people with several scopes. I too had a budget of £500 when starting out but portability and storage space was essential so I ended up with a celestron 127 SLT with £150 left over for cases, cameras, EPs and chair. If space wasn't an issue I'd have gone for a dob, and motorised it later on.

Being an astronomy site you'll get the majority pushing FLO who are pretty much a sponsor, and telling you to avoid amazon. FLO are good, I've bought items from there but IMO, amazon have the best customer service in the UK so don't worry about ordering from them, they won't have the expertise of FLO but that's why you join these forums, to get advice and then find a store with best price and customer service.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are gonna be good scopes but Jimbo is certainly right about going to your local Astro club and seeing what's really what. As many folks on here will tell you, the best scope for you is the one you'll use most, not necessarily the biggest you can afford. The 150P/EQ3-2 will be more portable but I found my 200P manageable on an EQ5. I use a car to transport my gear from home to my usual location and it takes 3 or 4 trips from the house to the car to load/unload but if that's not a problem for you then it might be worth considering. If you can't get to an Astro club, find a local stockist where you can at least view both scopes before you decide.

Good hunting...

Archived