Narrowband

SHOW US YOUR MAK.......

13 hours ago, DaveS said:

Got my 180 mak back on the HEQ5 yesterday, had my first visual session for over 2 years last night

20170407_173649.thumb.jpg.803fe4423dabacb6b8c178ea9ce7d840.jpg

Oh dear, I might have to buy some more eyepieces.

Nice, i had the same set up for a long time

Mass wise it's OK but just a touch wobbly at high power. TBH the mirror wobble is more of a distraction.

I *still* need to sort the collimation which is giving me the run-around.

• Like 1

No! Don't do it Dave!

I had a 180 and ignored everyone's advice about leaving collimation well alone.  End result I messed it up and never quite got it right.

I have the 150 now and it's outstanding when properly cooled, which was probably what was wrong with the 180!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Couple off pictures of my mini Mak a Celestron C90 and an image produced with it.

IMG_20170411_162916.png.a45fbb2916415878c7a7e15bc8915ed9.png

IMG_20170411_162806.png.463d9c8c97d71740fca5e8ff088f3a0c.png

This is a single shot RAW done with the Mak.

post-32578-0-24135900-1450633418.thumb.png.e0d22f595dab4d0730818cea4772894a.png

Alan

Nice shot!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, recceranger said:

No! Don't do it Dave!

I had a 180 and ignored everyone's advice about leaving collimation well alone.  End result I messed it up and never quite got it right.

I have the 150 now and it's outstanding when properly cooled, which was probably what was wrong with the 180!

Is that why nobody came up with any useful reply to my plea for help, despite 60-odd views? That it's so darn difficult nobody knows how to do it?

When I eventually got it home after delivery from FLO (Not FLO's fault I hasten to add) back in '13 it had been knocked out of collimation but not too far and I managed to get it somewhere near. Since then it's been in and out of storage 3 times and the collimation just got worse, to the point that stars in the centre of the field looked like < s. I've been going round in circles, including two rough daylight collimation iterations to try and bring it back into something like adjustment. Star collimation is just driving me barking though.

Edit: That TEC 180 fluorite apo on the Astrograph site is looking increasingly attractive. Yes, I can afford it.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2017 at 20:43, DaveS said:

Is that why nobody came up with any useful reply to my plea for help, despite 60-odd views? That it's so darn difficult nobody knows how to do it?

When I eventually got it home after delivery from FLO (Not FLO's fault I hasten to add) back in '13 it had been knocked out of collimation but not too far and I managed to get it somewhere near. Since then it's been in and out of storage 3 times and the collimation just got worse, to the point that stars in the centre of the field looked like < s. I've been going round in circles, including two rough daylight collimation iterations to try and bring it back into something like adjustment. Star collimation is just driving me barking though.

Edit: That TEC 180 fluorite apo on the Astrograph site is looking increasingly attractive. Yes, I can afford it.

Its not that difficult to do the collimation,  just a royal pain in the rump, once its done its unlikely to shift, but only real way is star testing, if you can get it mounted on a decent tracking mount, needs to be properly cooled down, the secret is to turn an allen screw a tiny bit then see what difference it makes, be prepared to turn same one back equal amount if no better, this is going to be a coupe of hours, not a 5 minute job

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated my little Skymax 102, added a nice Star discovery AZ goto mount.

This will be used to further my Luna imaging both with 1000D DSLR at prime focus and with the aging SPC900. It will also be used to view the outer planets and do a bit of AP, just globs and double stars, as you can see in the second image the battery less servo drive to the focuser, not pretty but very effective. At present the finder is in the 8 oclock position, not ideal but i have a solution, just need some time to pick up the new finder mount. 

Mak goto (1).JPG

Mak goto (2).JPG

Mak goto (3).JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

The mighty mak looks to go well on there Jules. No so sure about the finder though, not so much  seated viewing as reclining! Thats also a neat looking dew shield.

Ian, if you need a dew shield for your 127 i should have enough stuff left over for it

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

That's kind Jules, tbh I thought it was one you had bought, Astrozap or something.

Just 3mm black foam 99p from range, and a bit of cutting plus black electrical tape

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Here's my Omegon MightyMak 60. Small but perfectly formed. On Velbon EX-Macro tripod

Jeremy

IMG_3982 (1).JPG

Thats even cuter than my 90 mm, like the tripod too.

Alan 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Here's my Omegon MightyMak 60. Small but perfectly formed. On Velbon EX-Macro tripod

Jeremy

IMG_3982 (1).JPG

That is really neat. Grab 'n' go is one thing but perhaps there should be a new "pocket 'scope" category! I like the accompanying friends too.

Edited by Alfian
  • Like 2

Here's my contribution to the Mak brigade. A recently acquired Celestron Mak 127, off an SLT setup, with diagonal replaced with a Circle T item. Its  attached to a slightly re-engineered Tal 1 mount, that I had going spare , now in Alt/Az configuration, atop a Skywatcher EQ3/5 type tripod. The Tal 1 modified top plate has an additional plate which gives me a lot more adjustment and with the dovetail clamp I can get things balanced up nicely. I've just got it all fettled and though I have set it up  terrestrially (finder)  and it all has a good feel to it. Hoping to try it out properly very soon. Have had a 9x50 RACI finder on it but the Tal 1 6x30 goes on it quite well. I have a Rigel which may go on if  the need arises.

Mak 1.jpg

Mak 2.jpg

Mak 3.jpg

Edited by Alfian
  • Like 4

Ian, a few bits and pieces have come together to make a rather interesting combo, these Maks can take very high power on good nights and putting it on the adapted Tal mount should allow such use..........very nice set up

• Like 1

These little scopes deliver a lot for the price - mine has always amazed me in terms of high power views, and even of faint fuzzies! "They" say that five inches is a good aperture for much of the time in the UK because of atmospheric conditions, and I've certainly always found that. 

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the mount and scope with time - vibration may perhaps be an issue?

Chris

• Like 1