Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SHOW US YOUR MAK.......

Wonder how the cost of the Questar compares to some of those Dobs though?

Some guys buy themselves a motorcycle or sports car when they retire, I chose a Questar instead with the encouragement of my Wife. She said there was less chance of me going wild, and it would be more economical in the long run.

Edit: I picked the right girl.   :smile:  

Edited by L8-Nite
  • Like 7

Here are some I used to own:

Intes MN61 mak-newt, Celestron C8 Plus and a Celestron C5.

I've owned several C8's and C5's over the years and 5" and 7" inch mak-cassegrains too but I've no photos of those.

post-118-0-78727800-1432997674.jpg

post-118-0-82484100-1432997741.jpg

post-118-0-23304100-1432997782_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here are some I used to own:

Intes MN61 mak-newt, Celestron C8 Plus and a Celestron C5.

I've owned several C8's and C5's over the years and 5" and 7" inch mak-cassegrains too but I've no photos of those.

Nice John. What was the MN61 like? I've often thought about trying a MakNewt, possibly an MN190?

My beloved Tal 200K. This is a f8.5 version and I have fitted a focal reducer to image at manageable f5.2.

Steve

I dont have a pic of my old 200k, but in truth i did not have it long

Some guys buy themselves a motorcycle or sports car when they retire, I chose a Questar instead with the encouragement of my Wife. She said there was less chance of me going wild, and it would be more economical in the long run.

Edit: I picked the right girl.   :smile:  

I remember thumbing through old and borrowed copies of Sky & Telescope as a boy and drooling over the Questar adverts. Never have got close to owning one but if I did I think it would live in a display cabinet in the lounge.

Arguably the most attractive optical instrument in the world...

• Like 1

A man after my own heart. Here is my C8

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1433087784.083560.jpg

Sent from my Fone

Thats a beast. Even the OTA looks a lot bigger then 8". I'm sure i wouldnt know what to do with a tripod like that. The biggest scope ive ever seen in the flesh was a C14. It was on its tripod (fully extended). It was a MONSTER, but the slewing noise of it was like a little kitty purring. Pretty much the same noise mine makes when slewing. I never thought i'd be able to own an 8" scope because in my mind they were too big and too heavy for me to be able to handle (being in a wheelchair). Then Michael Wilkinson (with the 2 middle initials in his name), pointed me in the direction of the 8SE. I have named mine Mick in his honour.

I digress, but its nice to hear stories behind why people buy the scopes they buy. Usually my story is because i'm a skinflint.

C9.25...

_D3H2178.jpg

I've often wondered but never looked it up. I assume the 9.25 is the scope aperture?. They do seem to be one of the most popular and most often mentioned scopes. Most ive seen online are mounted on the dual fork mount.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher