Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what's best thing to observe as a beginner

thank you for the website never new about it have you ever seen a comet with binoculars or teltelescope

Yep, I've seen a few in both scope and binoculars. A dark sky helps but some are bright enough to be seen under urban skies.

C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy has been very nice for months but unfortunately is now much fainter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another useful free program is Chris Peat`s  "Heavens Above"  which will provide you with information on Comets, their current position and brightness C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy has been a good binocular target for many months, from a reasonably dark site, but is now beginning to fade, enjoy :)

What is the most exciting thing.or first object to view

I started last week and so far the most exciting object is the current one I'm looking at :)

I started off with the moon (26th May) which seeing the craters and other surface detail was amazing, last night though it was way too bright for me to look at. The first night I also saw Venus which the first time you see another planet in a "phase" like you've only seen the moon before is a wow moment, for me anyway. Jupiter's wow moment soon surpassed Venus, seeing the disc and the moons is awesome, my 2nd viewing on the 28th allowed me to see the cloud bands which as you guessed outranked the other moments! The absolute show stopper was of course Saturn, I've had 3 (26, 28 & 31st) sessions viewing this week and Saturn is just so amazing. Not had much luck with finding Deep Sky but all in good time.

I'm personally am making a list of things I want to see, doesn't matter how big the list is, I just add to it and cross the out as I go along.

Archived