Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

hullobservertory

what's best thing to observe as a beginner

Hi Hull,

I would think Jupiter or Saturn right now. Easy to find and a lot of details, that said some people are moon & planet people and some are only interested in DSO's, I have to admit I think I'm somewhere in the middle, I like the planets but my ultimate aim is DSO's :) If you are interested in DSO's the Stellarium is a great help to plan your evening, open during the day and fast forward to the nighttime when you will be observing, you can switch on DSO's and even how bright they are so start with the brightest and take you pick of what will be nice and high in the sky for you.

Cheers,
Peter.

I also continue to underestimate the moon, the amount of detail to explore is impressive, it's just never high on my list :)

Seeing Saturn is a total "wow!" moment :)

What is the most exciting thing.or first object to view

Hi Hullobservatory,

Which objects do you like observing, would be good to know your thoughts?

I first viewed the crater at the bottom of the moon with celestron 15x70 binoculars and I have also seen several star clusters wich where bright.blue around.the actual star I find star clusters amazing viewing

Hi jaboo I have celestron 15x70 binoculars with hama 61 star tripod and binocular adapter and celestron weather station I love the celestron binoculars as the image is very clear and is also I.believe a good start point for amateurs like my self

There is a great group of stars fairly near Cygnus that looks like a coathanger. It's an asterism rather than a cluster but interesting. It should look great in your binoculars.

• Like 1

I first viewed the crater at the bottom of the moon with celestron 15x70 binoculars and I have also seen several star clusters wich where bright.blue around.the actual star I find star clusters amazing viewing

Thank you. Open clusters are certainly an excellent target for binoculars.

Panning around Cygnus when it is high overhead is a lovely thing to do

With my 10x50's I tried evening after evening trying to get the ring nebula in Lyra, only to find that it is IMPOSSIBLE in 10x50's :)  However I think it is possible in 15x70's.  That is worth a shot this time of year.  Start by finding Vega then use a star chart.

M13 in Hercules is an excellent target to hunt down.  Its a magnificent globular cluster (the biggest in this hemisphere).  There is also another decent sized globular cluster in the same constellation thats a skilled hop from M13.

If you are looking for the coat hanger you may as well spend some time checking out which direction to sweep over for the Dumbbell nebula too. 

Andromeda ?  Bag a galaxy you must :)

Have you signed up to Binocularsky.com ? 

Edited by jabeoo1

Andromeda is a fine sight in 15x70's , probably my favorite view of this target .

M57 is not going to be much to look at with them though ... if in fact you can make it out at all ...  :embarassed:

post-21219-0-53077400-1432978135_thumb.p

I seen M57 in 15x50s but only because I knew it was there!!

Hi Hullobservatory,

As a beginner too, I would say the moon is a good starting point. As others have said, the detail can be impressive. Jupiter is good too. Dead easy to find and great to see the bands and 4 moons.

Have fun!!

Andromeda is a fine sight in 15x70's , probably my favorite view of this target .

M57 is not going to be much to look at with them though ... if in fact you can make it out at all ...  :embarassed:

Thats a fair point Steve,  I forget that magnification on this one is critical for seeing the structure. I suppose to be able discern is as non stellar is about all to get out of seeing it at x15.  

Yeah the moon was an awesome spectacle to look at best thing.that took.my breath away is when you.look.up and see a couple of stars and then use your binoculars and there is thousands of stars and some.clusters and.double star that was.also a very good spot

Comets are another great target for too, look out for the next one coming along, whenever that may be!

Definitely, when they are bright enough.

Check out www.binocularsky.com for plenty to see with binos