Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at lunar imaging

This was my first attempt at catching some images of the moon.

These are stills taken from an avi, captured with a modified Microsoft Xbox Live Camera at the prime focus of a Skywatcher Explorer 130 EQ2.

post-44540-0-95031700-1432857161.png

post-44540-0-22130400-1432857173.png

Indeed some fine images, I'd be happy with them :smiley:

If you have taken an .avi file it might be worth having a look into stacking the avi into one image as it will likely improve the image further (and will be good practice!)

A good start is to use PIPP to center the frames of the avi, AutoStakkert!2 to stack the frames and Registax to apply wavelets. There will be some tutorials on how to do this here or around the web and all the software is free.

Thank you Pete, Vikki, and Rob for the positive comments - it's very encouraging.

I've been playing around with AS!2 and Registax for some avi's of Jupiter I made, but haven't used PIPP yet so I will give that a go.

This is of course subject to the highly unlikely event of cloudy skies here in the UK ;-)

Hi camboface - nice to hear from you again. 

I'm still getting to grips with some of the features in the programs you mention, but I will persevere!

I hope Northumberland is producing some nice dark skies for you  :Envy:

Chris

Nice work Rob...was that with a DSLR? My scope gives me about a sixth of the moon via the webcam (prime focus) although I can get a view through the scope similar to your image if I use my 25mm EP.

Archived