Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Seeing Nakedgun's post showing that lovely vintage long focal length refractor has inspired me to show you the result of a little project I worked on last year.

My brothers best mate knows I'm "into astronmy" and offered me a telescope that one of his work colleagues was wanting rid off and was free to a good home. Of course, I jumped at the offer without even knowing what was being offered as I'd never wish a scope of any description to be taken to the tip.

I was warned that it came in a huge wooden box and there were loads of bits that looked damaged and or broken.

I'll keep the post short and I collected what I believe to be a Prinz 660 refractor complete with tripod, wooden coffin case and most of it's original accessories.

Unfortunately, the tripod was in a sorry state and I don't have space for the case, so the tough decision was made to discard these. Even though the 0.965" EPs are not in good condition, I have kept them for prosperity. I have also kept the solar projection screen which I have attached and used to view sunspots. 

I used a Vixen 36.4mm adapter (which I had read on another forum fits these old scopes perfectly) to convert the focus tube to accept modern 1.25" accessories. I bought some new 76mm tube rings (which are surprisingly difficult to find) and fitted these so I could use on my modern mounts. I currently use this scope mounted on my Vixen Porta II mount (bought from a fellow SGL member) for casual viewing. I fitted a Telrad finder which, although not very attractive, is far superior to the original finder scope, which I have also kept.

I absolutely love this old telescope,  which is probably a similar age to myself. Even though I have an incredible refractor in the form of a WO FLT-110, the Prinz 660, with a 76.2mm lens and focal length of 1250mm, is the scope that gets hauled out into the yard when I just want to get back to basics and have a bit of fun.

I have attached a couple of photos of my finished little "restoration" project, and it is a thing thing of beauty (despite the Telrad haha).

And to think it was heading for the tip. I shudder at the thought.

20200216_211534.jpg

20200216_211554.jpg

20200216_211656.jpg

20200216_211618.jpg

• Like 9

Lovely scope Vicki! I enjoy observing with these older scopes too, it does add to the enjoyment as they have such character.

• Like 2