Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Wow Peter, what a frac! I do believe that's a c chord your grand daughter is playing. Show us your guitar sounds fun too lol

Looks like an 'F' to me :happy7:

A show us your guitar thread might make some people's scope collections look restrained.

Where do they all come from?

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Looks like an 'F' to me

Ah yes, I can see now I'm zoomed in lol Looks like F major 7 as she's not barring the top E. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A show us your guitar thread might make some people's scope collections look restrained.

Indeed! I've always fancied a nice Ibanez with a low flat action for shredding Steve Vai scales :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted my frac before, so technically this isn't new.. but the set up is.. gone is the skytee2 with steel tripod and in came the vixen gp and and homemade sapele mahogany tripod.. very happy with the look of this now.. hopefully the stability is good.. try it out tonight on some clusters and globs I think..

20171118_125536.thumb.jpg.5325aa6553a672e17a8eb6cacb088cf6.jpg

20171118_122943.thumb.jpg.66224479793fcd5f498ebfb6e7b109df.jpg

Initial indications are its going to be at least as good as the steel tripod, the half pilller seemed to have a bit of movement, but has tightened up fine..

It's the look you want though! It just says classic frac..  Well to me it does anyway!

20171118_123024.jpg

Edited by Fozzie
Spelling!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Picked up this little Altair ED70 for grab and go last week. I really wanted the new WO61 for a long time, but by the time you add the WO RDF, diagonal etc it's cracking on for £550 so just couldn't justify that for a 60mm scope in the end.

A quick first light last night and it was nice to see pin prick stars again, M45 looked great. I'll have to get another grab and go mount for it though, short tubes are a bit awkward to wield with the EQ3 for visual, I'll just reserve the eq3 for casual imaging I think. 

IMG_20171124_222640.jpg

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Picked up this little Altair ED70 for grab and go last week.

IMG_20171124_222640.jpg

Nice one! Glad you got your grab-and-go frac. Looks a lot like the INED70 I used to have, surely must be the same thing except for the carbon tube. Great build, very nice focuser and great views, excellent value.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Looks a lot like the INED70 I used to have, surely must be the same thing except for the carbon tube.

I think they're both very similar fpl51 glass at the very least. A good budget semi apo ED :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Looks great Chris, I was awaiting a picture and first light report.

But with all this cloud, knew it would take a few nights or more to happen.

That is a nice compact scope, looks far more petite than my ed80.

Thanks Alan, I'd say it's a bit more compact than the ED80 but about the same weight. The ED70 f/6 is quite substantially built, I always remember the ED80's to be surprisingly light weight for what it is.

• Like 2

Looking at your lovely looking 70mm Altair ED reminds me of an evening last April when I was privileged to use a similar scope. On that night I had a visitor, Rodger Vine, who writes some excellent scope reviews. He brought with him his 70mm Tak fluorite which genuinely thrilled me with its exquisite views of Jupiter's cloud belts and its crisp colour free views of the moon. The night itself was excellent, which added to the memorable views, but what stood out to me most was just how capable and pleasant a good 70mm scope can be to use. I'm not sure if these pics of Rodgers 70mm Tak have been posted before, but here they are anyway.

2017-04-03 08.07.20.jpg

20170402_193827.jpg

20170402_193753.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 4

On 18/11/2017 at 13:22, Fozzie said:

, .  .. gone is the skytee2 with steel tripod and in came the vixen gp and and homemade sapele mahogany tripod.. very happy with the look of this now.. hopefully the stability is good.. try it out tonight on some clusters and globs I think..

20171118_125536.thumb.jpg.5325aa6553a672e17a8eb6cacb088cf6.jpg

20171118_122943.thumb.jpg.66224479793fcd5f498ebfb6e7b109df.jpg

20171118_123024.jpg

Well done . That looks a cracking tripod you have made. I love it when SGL members make there own kit, but at the same time looks so good that you would think it has just been purchased from a shop. So great job?

IMO wood does seem to have a more of a dampening effect of vibrations than steel. So this could well be worth the effort and time you have invested in what looks such a well crafted tripod 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Well done . That looks a cracking tripod you have made. I love it when SGL members make there own kit, but at the same time looks so good that you would think it has just been purchased from a shop. So great job?

Very kind words.. many thanks.

6 hours ago, Lockie said:

Picked up this little Altair ED70 for grab and go last week. I really wanted the new WO61 for a long time, but by the time you add the WO RDF, diagonal etc it's cracking on for £550 so just couldn't justify that for a 60mm scope in the end.

A quick first light last night and it was nice to see pin prick stars again, M45 looked great. I'll have to get another grab and go mount for it though, short tubes are a bit awkward to wield with the EQ3 for visual, I'll just reserve the eq3 for casual imaging I think. 

IMG_20171124_222640.jpg

Nice scope Chris. Must bring back memories of your old Zenithstar 66 and Megrez 72? ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Nice scope Chris. Must bring back memories of your old Zenithstar 66 and Megrez 72? ?

Yeah it's certainly that kind of scope, Rob. It's a handy scope for quick peaks, but I need to think about an appropriate mount? so a thread beckons :) 

• Like 1