SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

4 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Typical cloudy here but who knows 

Congratulations on your new scope Garry - and don't worry if there's nothing but cloud for the next few weeks. Just doing an artificial star test with an FC is a joy.  

What an excellent choice Garry, and I'm not even a little tiny bit biased :hello2::hello2::hello2:.

If you don't have clear skies for a bit at night, set it up on a sunny day and point it at anything with fine detail on it;, a telegraph pole, a fence (anything with fine-grained wood), an electricity pylon, roofs with moss and lichen, any foliage against the blue sky, insects caught in a spiders web - any object with oodles of detail.  You'll be blow away.  I know this is fairly sad but MikeDnight and myself were doing this yesterday afternoon with the DC and the DL, outstanding detail and very enjoyable!

Of course, it'll be pretty good on the night sky too :laughing4:.

Oh yes, I forgot Garry.  If you want a fine focus and don't want to shell out around £250 for the Tak add on bit, you could always buy one of these:

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-prism-diagonal-t-2-90-with-focusing-eyepiece-holder-and-125-nosepiece.html

I bought one recently as I just wanted the prism diagonal but iit was cheaper to buy it  as a set like this than  just buying the prism housing only and adding the T2 fittings of  your choice.  I didn't particularly want the helical focuser, but it works superbly well.  If I'd known it was this good before I'd have bought it just for the fine focus facility.  The prism diagonal itself is really good too and I much prefer it to my 1.25 TVue Dielectric mirror diagonal I sold to part fund it.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Thanks Guys never been so excited before as I was waiting for this to arrive just got sort out a finder I'm not paying Tak prices for a average finder .

The Tak 6x30 is superb quality but it's not RACI and thats my biggest gripe about it. I use a Skywatcher 6x30 RACI now and it's fine.

I guess I'll keep the Tak finder and bracket in case I ever move the Tak on (very unlikely). They cost around £170 I think :rolleyes2:

Thanks paul I've been doing just that the quality of image is stunning I managed to pick up a nice 1.25 used Tak prism which is rather nice .

John I know just think I could put a small refractor on the side as finder for less lol 

Neil the avatar is blue man group they don't do smile ?

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garryblueboy said:

Thanks paul I've been doing just that the quality of image is stunning I managed to pick up a nice 1.25 used Tak prism which is rather nice .

John I know just think I could put a small refractor on the side as finder for less lol 

Neil the avatar is blue man group they don't do smile ?

Thanks Garry.  The Tak prism is a good one, especially as you found a used one.  I opted for the Baader T2 because I really don't like the rotating ring you have to tighten to keep an eyepiece in position with the Tak.  I felt the same about the one that is on the scope to start with and quickly replaced it and the tubes it's attached to with a 2 inch fitting.  I still have it, but it won't be used again!  :smile:.

I've also bought a 2 inch T2 fitting nose piece for the Baader prism.  Much more secure  than 1.25 fitting when I'm using my binoviewer with two Baader Mk111s on board.

I hope you have some good clear skies to put your scope through its paces soon.

• Like 1

Very nice!

Perhaps you should have used a few peacock feathers to keep the objective and the focuser covered for a little longer just to tease us some more ? ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...