Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

Hi Roy

The scope looks superb:). I'm assuming its the same Prinz originally that you bought from me a while back? These old Prinz Circle K objectives are so good, they are worth investing in,in the same way Neil English invested in the Moonrakering of the Meade 339 (Topic 80mm F15, Towa lens) which I now have in my care.

Congratulations on a lovely project:-).

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Roy

The scope looks superb:). I'm assuming its the same Prinz originally that you bought from me a while back? These old Prinz Circle K objectives are so good, they are worth investing in,in the same way Neil English invested in the Moonrakering of the Meade 339 (Topic 80mm F15, Towa lens) which I now have in my care.

Dave

Hi Dave, you seem to be missing a D an G from your sig....?

Hi Roy

Dave

Cheers Dave! (and everyone else too), yes it 's the one I bought from you, and I agree that it is worth investing in. I wanted a scope that would never be tempted to sell for any reason. The Skylight, coupled with a Tak prism and the CZJs is about as good as it gets without huge expenditure. It doesn't have quite the resolving power or field of view of my Tal 100 but the views are cleaner, and for what I use it for, that's all that matters!

• Like 1

Hi Roy,

Can you Binoview without a barlow now the tube is shorter? I find the CJZ 10mm orthos (which are superb on moon and planets) do eat up in focus.

You have a real one-off scope there:-).

Jules, sadly the D&G (Andromeda) has gone, she just got to unwieldy for me and I couldn't afford an EQ6 to mount her properly. The good news is that she was bought by an SGL member who for the moment prefers anonymity..but he is delighted with the scope, and has the EQ6 that the scope really needs. I'm sure he will share his thoughts on the scope when he is ready:-).

I now have my Vixen ED103s all Japan built Apo as a replacement. The new scope is all I hoped, with superb optics and build. But using the Vixen has also really brought home to me how good the D&G is..apart from the very slight CA (which is effectively absent on n the ED103), the contrast and quality of the views is right up there..and of course the D&G is a full 5" aperture versus the 4" of the ED103, so does go deeper.

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Roy,

Can you Binoview without a barlow now the tube is shorter? I find the CJZ 10mm orthos (which are superb on moon and planets) do eat up in focus.

You have a real one-off scope there:-).

Jules, sadly the D&G (Andromeda) has gone, she just got to unwieldy for me and I couldn't afford an EQ6 to mount her properly. The good news is that she was bought by an SGL member who for the moment prefers anonymity..but he is delighted with the scope, and has the EQ6 that the scope really needs. I'm sure he will share his thoughts on the scope when he is ready:-).

I now have my Vixen ED103s all Japan built Apo as a replacement. The new scope is all I hoped, with superb optics and build. But using the Vixen has also really brought home to me how good the D&G is..apart from the very slight CA (which is effectively absent on n the ED103), the contrast and quality of the views is right up there..and of course the D&G is a full 5" aperture versus the 4" of the ED103, so does go deeper.

Dave

I fully understand, i did feel the D&G was going to be a little undermounted, i have been tempted with larger fracs in the past but not had the mount to do one justice, so i make do with the humble TAL, though i keep seeing an add for a 100ED on ABS and thinking....

• Like 1

I fully understand, i did feel the D&G was going to be a little undermounted, i have been tempted with larger fracs in the past but not had the mount to do one justice, so i make do with the humble TAL, though i keep seeing an add for a 100ED on ABS and thinking....

Jules, the 100ED is not a big and heavy scope. What would you be mounting it on?

Derek, your ED120 setup is looking very classy with all that bling. It wears it well, and must be a joy to use :)

It is, Chris. The MoonLite makes a huge difference and also helps balance that big heavy lump of glass at the other end.

All I need now is my 4.7mm Ethos to arrive and I'll have a very classy planet killer :cool2:

• Like 2

It is, Chris. The MoonLite makes a huge difference and also helps balance that big heavy lump of glass at the other end.

All I need now is my 4.7mm Ethos to arrive and I'll have a very classy planet killer :cool2:

You might find the 3.7mm desireable with the ED120 as well Derek. I often find myself using my Pentax XW 3.5mm (257x) with mine and also the 3mm Radian (300x) on tight double stars and the Moon. These ED doublets are well figured objectives and seem to handle high power very well :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

You might find the 3.7mm desireable with the ED120 as well Derek. I often find myself using my Pentax XW 3.5mm (257x) with mine and also the 3mm Radian (300x) on tight double stars and the Moon. These ED doublets are well figured objectives and seem to handle high power very well :icon_biggrin:

I suspect it is only a matter of time before the 3.7mm Ethos magically appears in my case, John :wink:

I can then turn my attention to the woeful gaps I have between 21mm, 31mm and 41mm :rolleyes2::lol:

• Like 2

I suspect it is only a matter of time before the 3.7mm Ethos magically appears in my case, John :wink:

I can then turn my attention to the woeful gaps I have between 21mm, 31mm and 41mm :rolleyes2::lol:

I find I can happily live with the 31-21-13 sequence in all of my scopes. I had a 17mm Ethos for a short while and it's just as good as the others of course but I could see straight away that I didn't need it. At the shorter focal lengths though I like 1mm increments and even .5mm to "tune into" what the seeing will allow.

I had a 17mm Ethos for a short while and it's just as good as the others of course but I could see straight away that I didn't need it.

I try to avoid the use of the word "need" when considering which eyepiece to buy next :wink:

• Like 1

Hi Roy,

Can you Binoview without a barlow now the tube is shorter? I find the CJZ 10mm orthos (which are superb on moon and planets) do eat up in focus

Dave

I'm not sure- never tried binoviewing. The tube is 38mm shorter than it used to be, so I guess it is a possibility.

Jules, the 100ED is not a big and heavy scope. What would you be mounting it on?

Derek, it would be EQ5 or AZ4 these would be fine, but i dont see me doing this as i would have to spend £400 to get a scope that might only be a notch better than the TAL

My latest frac setup is a Startravel 120mm f/5 and AZ4, taken in part ex for my 5" f/9 Bresser plus Skytee. It's on trial at the moment to see how it performs with binoviewers. Well, now that Fozzie has helped me find a way to get it to reach focus with BV's :) It balances well which is a good start!  

post-16129-0-01274600-1453204222.jpg

post-16129-0-22447200-1453204247.jpg

• Like 8