SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

My contribution to this - not the clearest photo but here is my TMB152 F8 and Lunt LS152 mounted alongside each other on the EQ8.

Quite simply a wonderful set of fracs sir, I've not felt that giddy looking at a collection since the "odd Thomas skylight collection" earlier in the thread... My oh my!

Thanks Fozzie for your kinds comments.   I was incredibly lucky that these two scopes were offered for sale within a few months of each other.  Previously I had owned the 92mm and 130mm signature series TMBs and the optical and mechnical quality of them was evident immediately.  I have the 3.5in 3545 FT focuser on the TMB and it is just huge! 

What I particularly like about the Lunt 152 is that it is modular.  So many H alpha solar scopes (including the massive LS230) are only designed to work at that wavelength.  However on the 152 you can completely remove the H alpha module and replace it with a CaK module or even a conventional star diagonal or Herschel wedge making it suitable for night time and white light solar viewing as well.  Obviously all these cost extra but to have the option is very useful and makes the LS152 a uniquely versatile scope.   I have both a B1800 straight through blocking filter for imaging and a B1200 for visual use.

Of course since you are only working with a single wavelength there is no advantage to having a high quality lens when observing at Ha or CaK wavelengths.  Hence the LS152 is 'only' an achromat at the objective end.

I have become something of a frac addict now and also have a pair of Takahashis as well.  Photos of those to follow.

Edited by Philip Benson
  • Like 1

No thank you, bet there's not many 150mm dedicated solar scopes around..

I didn't know that about the lunts being so variable, is the same to be said for the 50/60mm? Got a 50mm on the shopping list for next year..

Look forward to the pair of taks too..

Ta

Fozzie

Hi Fozzie,

No the modular design is unique to the LS152.  At least as far as I know.  If you look at the Photo (1st link below) you can see a small silver thumb screw just in front of the red band.   This is one of three which allow you to remove the Ha Module and replace it with for example the CaK module (see 2nd link below).  

http://solarchat.natca.net/media/kunena/attachments/1423/lunt4.jpg

http://luntsolarsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/LS152THaCakModuleInstalled.jpg

Tak images to follow.​

The Sun finally put in an appearance this morning so I was able to test out my new 120 ED with the Baader wedge :cool:

post-33858-0-64249900-1451213622_thumb.j

...and here she is with her nighttime gear...

post-33858-0-37727400-1451213689_thumb.j

Very pleased with the new toy - all I need now is for the weather to start improving and I might actually get to put it to some use :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Yes, it's the dual-speed MoonLite, John. I removed the foot (in fact, two feet) as I use a Rigel rather than the standard finder.

Looking forward to giving it a better road-test on a nice, dark, still night - if such a thing exists!

Very nice Derek, has the f11 sold?

Yes, Jules, she went just before Christmas and I'm regretting it already :sad:

After more than a month of trying to sell it at what I think was a bargain price I've decided to hang on to the Bresser 127L for now to give me a good high-mag option with a decent aperture but am now hankering after a 5" f/11 to f15. The Starwave would have been a better stop-gap but hey-ho, I let it go! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Derek, that ED120 looks like a nice outfit for sure!  I'd be interested to hear your impressions on combining it with the 31mm Nag.  Hat's off to you for trying different things too, and I'm keeping an eye out for your 'bargains!'  :grin:

Shame Skywatcher can't come out with a ED150!  Striking the balance of big glass with correction and a high enough f/ratio to keep out false color seems like a tightrope.................unless paying thousands which is way out of my league!  I looked at the Starwave 152mm before xmas which looks like a dream but such a short f/ratio must be prone to false color.

• Like 3

I think an 150 ED is a fabulous idea, Kevin :grin:

I have been weaving my way through lots of second-hand scopes in the past three years and must say that more often than not I have got all (or nearly all) of my money back when re-selling. The 100ED I sold this week was the exception as I took a big (80%) hit on what I paid but it is the only scope I have managed to damage during my ownership so I deserved all I got :rolleyes:

This week I have had a first in that I have bought a second version of a scope I have previously owned - a Startravel 150. I sold one a few months ago to pay for a new purchase but regretted it from the moment I handed it over to its new owner. My replacement will hopefully be here within the next few days :smile:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

The Chromacor corrector, launched around 2001 by a Ukraine based optical company calles Aries was intended to turn the Synta/Skywatcher 120mm F/8.3 and 150mm F/8 achromats into scopes with the equivalent performance of ED doublets. The Chromacors were not cheap by any means but the relatively low cost of the OTA's meant that you could have such a scope for around £1K which is considerably less expensive than an ED150 was costing back then.

The downsides are that the Chromacor needs to be matched to an objective lens and are rather finicky devices to install. They did work though, with some care.

The production run was rather short due to the supply of the special glass needed running out.

I believe Istar Optical were working on a similar device but the project seems to have stalled.

• 2 weeks later...

After a 3 month wait, my Prinz 660 has finally returned......now a Skylight 660.

P1090047

P1090054

P1090051

P1090052

Not sure why the last pic is sideways?

Anyway, the finish is superb, soooo shiny! The focuser is a million times better than the original. The scope itself has been shortened in order for my Lunt wedge to come to focus with the Zeiss CZJs (it didn't before). The tube has been tidied up internally - matt black paint, castings smoothed etc. A dovetail has been attached directly to the tube so I don't need rings.

My experience with Richard from Skylight Telescopes was excellent, very good communication throughout and he even delivered the scope personally to my house last night.

What can I say other than that I'm very happy with the result. Fully expect the cloud cover to be extended until the year 3000 but at least I can look ​at ​my scope and still be happy!

• Like 16