Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

My Skylight hasn't made an appearance in this thread for an age, and seeing as I picked up a nice mount for it this morning (thanks to @wormix), here it is. It's light enough to be grab-n-go, mainly for lunar observing. The tripod is a little on the short side, so I'll put some bricks under the feet until I get around to making some longer legs. The finder scope bracket needs improvement as it keeps falling off, not that it's needed for finding the moon. 

IMG_20210501_155051827.jpg

IMG_20210501_155100752.jpg

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, IB20 said:

I am now a proud frac owner! 😃

D471EF5E-75A7-4227-AC9B-960B482640C6.jpeg

Is that the fully japanese made Tak sponsored 80mm achro? I remember I've seen it on CN. How are the views?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KP82 said:

Is that the fully japanese made Tak sponsored 80mm achro? I remember I've seen it on CN. How are the views?

OTA looks very much like the fully Japanese made ScopeTech which I think uses the same optics.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KP82 said:

Yep! Delivered from FLO via DHL about 2 hours ago and an absolute cinch to set up. First impressions are nicely surprised by the sturdiness of the tripod and the beautiful simplicity of the Az-Alt mount. The OTA is really light and not unwieldy like I thought it might be; the whole set-up must weigh somewhere between 6-7kg, which I'm delighted about. Everything bar the spreader and accessory tray is metal, again a nice surprise considering I was looking at the Vixen A80mf before I clocked that FLO stocked the Starbase 80 set-up. I'll get a first light report up as soon as I can (fingers crossed tonight) but very happy so far. Looks the dogs' danglies too.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Yep! Delivered from FLO via DHL about 2 hours ago and an absolute cinch to set up. First impressions are nicely surprised by the sturdiness of the tripod and the beautiful simplicity of the Az-Alt mount. The OTA is really light and not unwieldy like I thought it might be; the whole set-up must weigh somewhere between 6-7kg, which I'm delighted about. Everything bar the spreader and accessory tray is metal, again a nice surprise considering I was looking at the Vixen A80mf before I clocked that FLO stocked the Starbase 80 set-up. I'll get a first light report up as soon as I can (fingers crossed tonight) but very happy so far. Looks the dogs' danglies too.

Thanks for the detailed description. Looking forward to your first light report.

BTW is it possible to attach a saddle to that alt-az mount so that it can be used with other light-weight scopes?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KP82 said:

Thanks for the detailed description. Looking forward to your first light report.

BTW is it possible to attach a saddle to that alt-az mount so that it can be used with other light-weight scopes?

Complete mount novice but the tube rings screw into the base plate ~95mm apart. I can’t see why not if you could find an appropriate saddle though.

49AABDD3-2F5A-4FB8-A352-1A4B75A6A738.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grab and go Takahashi FC-76DCU, mounted on ScopeTech Zero mount and Berlebach Report tripod 😃

I’ve added the FeatherTouch Micro Pinion focuser, Takahashi Camera Angle Adjuster, 1.04x Field Flattener, T2 adaptor and Baader 1.25” prism with ClickLock.

Also replaced the Takahashi 6x30 finder with a Skywatcher right angle instead, although I still love the Tak finder and that lives on another refractor now.

Edit: I should add that the field flattener is not essential, but I use it mostly because it keeps my XW 14 and 20 FC under control, whilst allowing me the option of attaching my EOS SLR for the occasional lunar snap (I replace the T2 adaptor with the Tak EOS Wide adaptor and appropriate Multi CA adaptor) 👍

3512E286-8910-48E8-94A7-D2F0FF85B5E3.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, HollyHound said:

My grab and go Takahashi FC-76DCU, mounted on ScopeTech Zero mount and Berlebach Report tripod 😃

I’ve added the FeatherTouch Micro Pinion focuser, Takahashi Camera Angle Adjuster, 1.04x Field Flattener, T2 adaptor and Baader 1.25” prism with ClickLock.

Also replaced the Takahashi 6x30 finder with a Skywatcher right angle instead, although I still love the Tak finder and that lives on another refractor now.

Edit: I should add that the field flattener is not essential, but I use it mostly because it keeps my XW 14 and 20 FC under control, whilst allowing me the option of attaching my EOS SLR for the occasional lunar snap (I replace the T2 adaptor with the Tak EOS Wide adaptor and appropriate Multi CA adaptor) 👍

I see you are gradually working your way through the Tak accessory list 🤣👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

🤣

you must be getting quite a pile of those lovely blue Tak boxes 👍🏻

Oddly enough, apart from the field flattener, most of the accessory boxes have been just plain old cream cardboard... But they just get stored away in a larger box in a cupboard, so no matter 👍

One thing I do now have a surfeit off, are the extension/adaptor tubes that came with each scope... none of which I’m actually using, having switched to Baader/T2 stuff... they’ve started to gang up on the table in here 🤣

D8C987B6-5436-4ADD-8B25-A9C552F8F1CE.jpeg

• Like 1

Dual mount setup from last night (for comparison on the moon)... FC-100DC and FOA-60(Q) on the AZ100 and Uni 28 😃

The dew shield from my old Mak102 fits perfectly on the FC100DC... not essential but useful 👍

5E5234C0-21ED-46D8-AE4C-9A9C6DA41D39.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 10

Lovely setup that is. I did similar too last night just to compare my Stellamira 80 f10 apo with my 152 f5.9 achro. I wanted to see if my inexperienced eyes could see a difference and yep, easy... It’s now confirmed Stellamira is lunar and planetary with my WO binoviewers and pretty much the full set of BST Starguiders. The 152 worked well on DSOs with a Nirvana 7mm 82 degree eyepiece so will get treated to the 16mm version too.  

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1