SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

35 minutes ago, Piero said:

Sure, but Derek has a TV-60 if I am not wrong.

Unfortunately the TV60 went along with many other TV items :sad: 

The 50ED is intended as a replacement travel scope, not as a finder.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, DRT said:

Unfortunately the TV60 went along with many other TV items :sad: 

The 50ED is intended as a replacement travel scope, not as a finder.

Sorry to hear this Derek. I did not know. It makes much more sense now.

Just now, DRT said:

It was - I used it with my Orion Optics UK F4 VX12 - it was brilliant!

+1! That's also my plan if one day I manage to put my hands on a good 12" dobson. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DRT said:

Yes, Stu, it’s your old ED120 on an Ercole with 11” ADM Losmandy clamp and plate and CNC rings from Teleskop Service. Solid as a rock ?

I had totally forgotten you had that one!!

• Confused 1

Takahashi fs60cb sporting some Vixen lanthanum glass, waiting for some grab n go Jupiter action.

Mount very temporary. Not sure what to buy for this little beauty?

P.s I own a flipping Tak!! ?

IMG_20180519_214649.jpg

IMG_20180519_214550.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Takahashi fs60cb sporting some Vixen lanthanum glass, waiting for some grab n go Jupiter action.

Looks lovely.

I use mine on a Vixen Porta

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Big Red the Carton 100mm f/13 scope that I built a few years ago was looking a bit tired so time to freshen it up and get it apart and check it over properly. 

The paint was dull and faded so rubbed it out and polished it and the candy red paint came up a treat. When I originaly painted it was first acid etch primer then three coats of silver base coat, six coats of candy red topped by four coats of clear. Proper candy red paint. :thumbright:

The carry handle and gone a funny goldish colour in patches but was repainted and now good as new. Then all the brass bits need a polish and there are a lot of brass bits as well as the dew shield.

Most important thing though it's still better to to look thrugh than at although have to admit I love looking at it of course. :biggrin:

John

BTW if you're looking for something to cap of the end of your scope one of the LensCoat covers works great. Elasticated with a removable hard pad in the end. 

BigRed-1.jpg

BigRed-2.jpg

BigRed-5.jpg

BigRed-6.jpg

BigRed-3.jpg

BigRed-9.jpg

Hello. I have one of these caps on my Borg achro as the lens cap has gone awol. 

Suggested to me by John a while ago. 

Thorougly recommend this item. 

Just my twopennyworth. John   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lockie said:

P.s I own a flipping Tak!! ?

IMG_20180519_214649.jpg

IMG_20180519_214550.jpg

Poor thing looks smothered in that clamp. ?

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

It looks well protected too! Like scope armour :icon_biggrin:

I don't think I'd change it because of the way it looks, but it is quite heavy, so maybe for that reason? Early days, we'll see :) 

P.s. didn't you put bright red rings on your Tak?! or am I thinking of some one else? 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

Are you havin’ a giraffe after fitting four rings and a losmandy clamp to yours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

@Lockie you are indeed the owner of a Tak :), lovely.

Any of the lightweight mounts will do the trick, I used a Giro-WR with mine but a Porta, AZ 4 or 5 will all do very well I’m sure. The AZGTi would make an ideal grab and go GoTo for it.

By the way, you can now buy the 76mm Objective upgrade and have two scopes for the price of...... errrr....two! ;) 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

It looks well protected too! Like scope armour :icon_biggrin:

I don't think I'd change it because of the way it looks, but it is quite heavy, so maybe for that reason? Early days, we'll see :) 

P.s. didn't you put bright red rings on your Tak?! or am I thinking of some one else? 

Primaluce 95mm. Red yes but not bright but mid. I understand scope armour well! 

IMG_20180424_144406.jpg

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Lockie you are indeed the owner of a Tak :), lovely.

Any of the lightweight mounts will do the trick, I used a Giro-WR with mine but a Porta, AZ 4 or 5 will all do very well I’m sure. The AZGTi would make an ideal grab and go GoTo for it.

By the way, you can now buy the 76mm Objective upgrade and have two scopes for the price of...... errrr....two! ;) 

Thanks, Stu. lol yeah, I'll leave the 76 objective upgrade or the q module for now, but it's great to have options, even if they are expensive ones :) 

20 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Primaluce 95mm. Red yes but not bright but mid. I understand scope armour well! 

IMG_20180424_144406.jpg

Flipping heck. you really like the Primaluce kit don't you! What's the logic behind having 4 if you don't mind me asking? You have a DL, on a Skytee so I'm guessing it's not flexure for imaging you're concerned with? 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

Flipping heck! lol Really like the Primaluce kit don't you! What's the logic behind having 4? You have a DL, on a Skytee so I'm guessing it's flexure for imaging you're concerned with? 

I would have been happy with 3, but they only sell in pairs..... Apart from better anchoring, more choice for mounting finders etc using a pair of rings at front & back. The Tak does not have a finder shoe as my SW fracs do each. 

Primaluce rings on (their) Losmandy bars attach with 2 or 3 bolts, much more secure than single bolt Vixen. Losmandy being broader gives support to the whole ring base and therefore also supports the whole weight of an OTA too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 25585 said:

I would have been happy with 3, but they only sell in pairs..... Apart from better anchoring, more choice for mounting finders etc using a pair of rings at front & back. The Tak does not have a finder shoe as my SW fracs do each. 

Primaluce rings on (their) Losmandy bars attach with 2 or 3 bolts, much more secure than single bolt Vixen. Losmandy being broader gives support to the whole ring base and therefore also supports the whole weight of an OTA too. 

I see, attaching kit like finders, I didn't think of that. I did wonder about the Losmandy too, but I guess it is an expensive scope so can see why you might want the extra bolts.

I think the skytee might be the weakest link now as it's just weak cast metal. I've seen a case where a skytee has suddenly sheered and a scope dropped to the ground, luckily the owner was close at hand to catch it! I don't think I'd have another one after seeing a thread about that.

I've just sold an Ercole, and that was like a tank and all cnc machined, maybe something to consider if you don't already have one. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I think the skytee might be the weakest link now as it's just weak cast metal. I've seen a case where a skytee has suddenly sheered and a scope dropped to the ground, luckily the owner was close at hand to catch it! I don't think I'd have another one after seeing a thread about that.

Now you have done it. 25585 was just about feeling secure in the mounting set up he has achieved with the Tak 100. I can see a AZ EQ6 now being thought of ,for extra safety?. My understand the skytee was more than adequate? . But a new AZ EQ6 would look great in the white and Green trim ??

• Haha 3

Ooh - not sure I’ve added my two pence on here yet. Here’s my Opticstar ar90s gold. 90mm achromat, 800mm f8.8 all metal, 1:10 focuser. No longer on the AZGTI though, need to pick up an EQ2 orAZ5 head from somewhere! Cracking scope!

804FDB2A-42A3-47C6-8B48-064668512D8F.jpeg

733C004F-8918-4859-BBC7-1D0091002D76.jpeg

• Like 8