Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

Mini frac, Altair 80mm super finder. Lighter & longer than the Lumicon I also have. 

Comes with a cross hair eyepiece, 1.25 diagonal, tube mounting rings & chrome fixings. Smooth but not loose helical focusing but no focusing lock. 

IMG_20171215_114415_edit.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I once had a Pentax 75 SDHF refractor, which I regret selling. The most robustly built telescope I have ever owned!

If you are wondering about the angle of the RA axis, it's because I was living pretty much on the equator when these shots were taken.

Jeremy

Pentax 75_1.jpg

Pentax 75_2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I once had a Pentax 75 SDHF refractor, which I regret selling. The most robustly built telescope I have ever owned!

If you are wondering about the angle of the RA axis, it's because I was living pretty much on the equator when these shots were taken.

Jeremy

Pentax 75_1.jpg

Pentax 75_2.jpg

From my perspective, Cheshire is on the equator! ???

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

He's either very strong or that is a helium purged system. 

I think there is a definite possibility it is only the tube and doesn’t have the lens cell in it - I think it would be very front heavy normally so don’t think he could carry it that way ?

Edited by GavStar

59 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

His left hand is at the balance point, looking at the rings...

How heavy is a 250mm frac?

I’ve just found out that there is an internal counterweight installed towards the focuser end of the scope to keep the balance point broadly central.

So yes it looks like this is a fully finished scope - I guess he didn’t drop it since his boss posted the picture on facebook ?

• Like 1

Having to sell, part-ex  my Tak 100 DL for financial reasons starting some months ago started a chain of events ending in my acquiring an Astro Tech 102ED 102mm f6.95 (709mm) from a fellow SGL member which I took in part exchange for a 120mm Equinox.  I took it really to sell on, but it's so good I have decided to keep it.  I even sold my 80mm Equinox to make way for it - and I'd had this scope for over five years.

It was new in 2007 and I am the third owner, all of us SGL members.  Astro Tech is the brand name for scopes made by Astronomics in the USA, and this one is fitted with a Feathertouch micro focuser fitted from new at the factory and made especially for this scope.

The scope has excellent sharpness (not stretched at all at x200 in appropriate seeing, and used at x360 on one occasion - though this was pushing it in poor seeing) and though having a little more colour than the Equinox 80 it's not at all bothersome to me. You have to look for the colour, great in day and night time and a joy to use.  The FT is fabulous, necessary in such a short focal length.  It's also only 24 inch with the dew shield in the closed position, about 22 inches without the diagonal.

My thanks to the two SGL members who were the custodians of this fine scope before me and who looked after it so well.

The pics show it in my observatory, the last one with the scope with the dew shield folded in.  The mount is a Vixen GP converted to Altaz by Peter Drew.

5a6c610540252_P1261438aToRight.thumb.jpg.e0940680ffde652d2fe5e41528464414.jpg  5a6c60d22f7cb_P1261422aPtgUpLeft.thumb.jpg.4535303905076f455f262535c9fb473e.jpg

5a6c60d76a96a_P1261423aMountLeft.thumb.jpg.05f5ad89e533f52b51e907561cf68a5f.jpg  5a6c60dc1d736_P1261432aLens.thumb.jpg.7583a45181e08f880d42a00cb6133647.jpg

5a6c60e13d15c_P1261441aFolded.thumb.jpg.e04a26f1d7960eca876537abded5c487.jpg

• Like 11

Paulastro very nice indeed! I like the black and white balance. Refractors are addictive. ?

Sad to read you had to sell your DL, I am on the cusp of buying one, I think.

It's nice to know/assume that cherished equipment will be in the hands of others who will appreciate it. I feel that when selling eps, binoculars and photographic kit.

I ordered one new, one preowned refractors of what I consider to be close to top tier for the 80mm class. It will be interesting in comparing them, as one is considerably more expensive, and being a bit more portable. 

IMG_1260IMG_1254

IMG_20180127_1045282IMG_20180123_1948389

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Philip R said:

The TeleVue TV85 maybe an old design, but still is a sexy looking refractor... though I prefer it in the green finish.

Definitely better for nature observation. They & the 76s could do with a stay-on cover with openable ends as are made for spotting scopes. I suppose a neoprene tube bag could be converted. 

On 14 January 2018 at 13:44, JeremyS said:

Jeremy

Pentax 75_1.jpg

Pentax 75_2.jpg

Pentax spotting scopes are excellent. They also take 1.25 inch eps, hence the XF/L/W eps.